Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Fergusons Family Farm
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what people vaccinate with? I figure its like sheep, and we vaccinate about 2 weeks before they are due, if we vaccinate. The last few yeasr we haven't bothered vaccinating, but I would like to this year, and get them off to a good start along with the does. Is there a vaccine that is safe for Goats and sheep? I live in Canada, I know we don't have the same vaccines as you, but at least it gives me a head start.

Melissa

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I do a CD&T about 4 weeks before kidding along with BO-SE(or gel monthly) and I do a copper bolus twice a year or as needed. I don't do rabies.

·
when in doubt, mumble.
2,025 Posts
I do CDT in and BoSe a few weeks before kidding, and then just this year I injected BoSe 2 weeks beffore breeding. Yet to see if it did any good. :)

Not meaning to hijack, but if there is copper in the salt, should I still do copper boluses? As of now, I dont.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Not meaning to hijack, but if there is copper in the salt, should I still do copper boluses? As of now, I dont.
If you are seeing signs of copper deficiency then bolus. Some places there is no need if you are feeding a high copper mineral. Here we need to bolus, but we are in southern Missouri, not Michigan.:)

Just to make sure its understood by the OP......CD&T is a vaccine that covers Tetanus and Entertoxemia(also known as overeating disease). Bo-Se is *not* a vaccine, it is a selenium and vitamin E supplement for areas that are selenium deficient. Most areas are.

I give CDT twice a year(1-2 weeks before breeding and 2-3 weeks before kidding), same for Bo-Se.

I Give Bo-Se because we are selenium deficient and the difference when using it and not using it is *very* noticable. I use the CD&T because when we had the commercial dairy herd, it was a very needed precaution. I lost 5 does to entero in one month before I started using it.
And *no* it was not because we "shoved grain at them". They were on very minimal grain, mostly browse and hay. It can strike anywhere at anytime. In large herds it is more likely, due to the numbers and higher stress on the goats.

·
Fergusons Family Farm
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There isn't anything going wrong that makes me want to Vaccinate. I don't think I will be doing the sheep, since things are going well with them. but I will give a Selenium shot, since we are deficient.

As for the goats, the last kids I had seemed to be slow growers. So I wanted to know what I could do. The one draw back is I can't find copper boluses anywhere. and I didn't give my doe Selenium last year. I will do the does this year with the selenium...I just need to find the copper.

Melissa

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
I do CDT and BoSe 2-3 weeks before kidding, worm the day of or the day after kidding, and use Corid pellets the last few weeks of pregnancy as top-dressing on their grain, in the hopes that it will help the kids be born with less exposure to cocci (don't know if it helps or not, but I'm trying it this year).

As far as the kids go, they should have some immunity from the vaccinations given to the dams during pregnancy. Then they get 2 doses of vaccine 3 weeks apart as kids, and fall into the vaccination booster program when they are in turn 2-3 weeks from kidding. I give the bucks their boosters at the same time.

As far as copper bolusing in addition to minerals with copper, it all depends. (How's that for a definite maybe? :rolleyes: ) Are you seeing any signs of deficiency, such as fishtails, dull coloring, etc? Do you have iron in your water? Both of these would lead me to bolus them several times a year. Iron binds the copper and makes it less accessible to the goats. How much copper is in the minerals? Are you seeing good conception rates, twins and higher multiples, and easy kidding? Are the kids growing well? If you are seeing any problems in any of these areas, I would cosider copper bolusing and giving BoSe (if you are in a selenium deficient area/feed hay and grain grown on selenium deficient ground).

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
On the left search at dairygoatinfo.com Kaye our offical med guru did the math on the mg/kg that you would have to use of the Corid pellets :) it's amazing, sort of like using Sulmet :) It can't be used even as prevention in goats. Vicki

·
Registered
311 Posts
Can I use injectable ivermectin on billy? The vet here gave it to me to worm my goats but it says for cow and swine only and when I asked him he said it would be fine and to use 2 cc . Has any one used duckmax? or is there a better way. This just doesn't feel right to me for some reason. I wish there was a natural way to worm them , we found goat worming pellets {Positive pellets } at the feed store but they don't seem to work and hard to dose without separating each goat out.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Nearly all the generic injectable ivermectins are 1% ivermectin, if yours is less just contact me. Otherwsie you would want to use 1cc per 50 pounds and give it orally...unless you vet has you using it for lice or mites this time of year. "Use 2cc of Ivermectin" is vet speak for I really don't know anything about goats, or your doctor telling you to take 2 aspirins and see him if the patient dies :) Vicki

·
Love My Manchas!
1,803 Posts
i use "safe gaurd" its made specificly for goats...is that one okay? anyone else use it??

·
Registered
311 Posts
The stuff he gave me is called double impact ivermectin injection for cattle 1% sterile solution. so our billy is 200lbs. so 4 cc. orally right? do I feed it or squirt it in the mouth?
Sorry if my questions are elementary but this is the first time doing it this way.

·
Love My Manchas!
1,803 Posts
i would do it right in the mouth...its the best way to be sure they get it all

1 - 14 of 14 Posts