Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a small herd of cows and since I have owned them, (two years) I have never had any vaccinations done on the cows, nor calves. So far, no problems with any of them. I would like to continue this practice and raise as natural a freezer beef as I can......anyone else not vaccinate? The cattle are only on my pasture and are not exposed to any nearby cattle at the fence rows........

Is this too risky? Are vaccinations really needed for all cattle? I realize when selling cows/calves that proof is needed of vaccinations...but if I don't end at at the sale barn, are there other areas where I might run into issues? (meat processor/butcher?)

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
In my view, vaccinations are a way of protecting your assets, moreso than something to meet someone else's requirements.
I would recommend you discuss with your vet what he/she suggests for cattle in your area. Blackleg comes to mind.

·
Registered
440 Posts
What If A Gate Is Left Open And One Of Yours Escapes And Goes Out And Gets Exposed? What Is A Neighbor Cow Gets Into Yours?
What If The Water Gets Polluted By A Flood?

We Had The Same Attitude From 2003-2006. Then We Had Two Cows Die. Then The Next Year In The Same Pasture A Calf Died. So Now We Vaccinate Those Cattle In Two Pastures. As We Move Those Back And Forth. We Have A Remote Pasture We Do Not Vaccinate, They Drink Out Of An Ever Flowing River. We Never Return A Cow To That Pasture If For Some Reason We Remove It.

It Gives You A Good Feeling To Know They Are Protected. It Is Good To Know The Procedure. Then You Are Set Up If You Need To Give An Emergency Antibiotic To Save One's Life.

My Son, A Paramedic Did Our First Vac's. Then His Son And My Other Grandson, Big Teenagers Took Over. We Use Disposable Needles And Got Our Vac's From Valley Vet Online Order.

Mom

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I don't believe there is anything "unnatural" about vaccinations. Most are a dead or weak form of a disease that occurs in nature.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts