vaccinations and drinking milk

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Christina R., Nov 4, 2004.

1. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

I gave Corabelle and her calf vaccinations yesterday. They got the 7 way blackleg (ultrashot 7 and cattlemaster 5 gold) and will get the lepto next week (leptoferm5). Here's my question, none of the insserts say anything about milk withdrawal, the vet from Pfizer said it would be okay to drink her milk after the shots. It's not that I don't trust the vet, but Iwanted to know what people do in real practice. Do you use the mil after annual boosters or do you give it to the chickens.

I don't pastuerize it, but was thinking of doing that for today - Sat just in case. Any thoughts??

P.S. 200 acres, Willow, oh you are a blessed woman. If I ever have to part with Corabelle, I'm sending her to your heaven on earth!!!!

2. catfishcookin

catfishcookin Active Member

I always waited a few days to drink the milk after vaccinations...did give it to the hogs and chickens. Smart thing to do, I believe, because in truth, there are no studies of drinking raw milk with newly vaccinated cows.

3. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We vaccinate annually for Lepto and ...shoot, I always forget what the second one is...some "B" word...
    We still drink the raw milk from the tank after they have all been vaccianted.
    Dairies vaccinate annually and we never hold out...could you imagine all that milk we would have to keep out.. :eek: