vaccination ?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by cajun_1, Dec 5, 2004.

1. cajun_1

cajun_1 New Member

Was told by a local dairyman that I need to vaccinate my Jersey bull calf. Somethig for phenona? (spelling). Anyone know what it's called?

thanks.

2. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Gonna need more info here, Phenona ?

3. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I think they mean pnuemonia (I possibly butchered the spelling as well).
    We don't vaccinate for it, so I couldn't tell ya.

4. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Think ya got the spelling right, but we don't vaccinate for that either.

5. cajun_1

cajun_1 New Member

Yes...pnuemonia was the word in question. My Jersey bull will be 7 weeks around the 15th of this month, about time to wean , but that will be another post. Anyway, went to local Cenex where there are numerous vaccines, but got the usual run around from the kids working there, so decided to buy nothing. My bull seems ok even with the temps in the low teens. Still in a hutch, covered from the evil weather, has a constant heat lamp and I uncover him as much as possible to aquaint him to the adverse weather. Is there a reason why neither of you vaccinate ? Are you raising yours for the future freezer ?
    Thanks for your replies.

6. trickham

trickham Well-Known Member

I have never heard of a vaccination for pneumonia. If I were you, I would give him a 7- ot 8-way vaccination shot. This is just a combination of vaccines for various common illnesses. We do raise our own beef.

7. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, we have a dairy farm.....so we have the barn(s) and space for calves that young so it isn't a concern. Our barn is kept around 40 degrees in the wintertime to accomadate the cows.
    We do vaccinate...but not for pnuemonia. I do know of a farm only two hours southeast of us taht does vaccinate for pnuemonia though. Her back yard is up against the Ohio River so it is very wet there.

8. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Many of the 7 or 8 ways vaccinate for something called Pasteurella haemolytica. This is something that causes pneumonia in cattle. I use a Pfizer 7 way ultra shot because it is safe on lactating and pregnant cattle. This may be what the gentleman meant when he told you to vaccinate against pneumonia.