Vaccination question?? Did we get the right thing??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by burfer, Mar 8, 2005.

1. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

Ok, so I though I knew what I was buying, now I am not so sure. What does the bottle for CD/T say? Is there anything else in it? Our bottle has a whole list of "stuff" (sorry, I am at work and don't have the bottle to read everything on it). :confused: The bottle says something to the effect of different viruses/bacteria caused by CL. It has CD/T in it too. HELP!! I can't seem to find if we have over vaccinated, hurt them in any way!!!!!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

keep a close eye on them for allergic reactions. if you gave the shots in the same day or within 3 days of each other, watch them $ call your vet immediately. and from now on, dont' vaccinate unless you know what exaclty youre giving them. there's no such thing as not enough time when it comes to caring for your animals.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

It sounds like you used a vaccine formulated for sheep - they need coverage from more diseases than goats do. As long as the vaccine also covers CD/T, your goats should be fine.

4. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

I know about allergic reactions, the bottle I bought was what someone at the store suggested, my fault for listening. I guess I just over vaccinated. These were all older does that have been vaccinated before. I always have a shot of epinephrine handy. It takes me approximatly 1 hour to feed every morning, besides the goats we have numerous other animals. My husband and I both have a BS in Animal Science, but the school offered very little to no info on goats. In all honesty, goats were not a part of my life then, boy do I wish I had learned a little more about goats! This site has been a God-send when questions pop up!

5. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

The CD/T bottle will say "CD/T" with an explanation that it is for vaccination against enterotoxemia types C and D, and Tetanus. Did you buy Covexin-8? It covers a range of 8 different claustridial forms. I know people who give it to both sheep and goats, in the belief that it's somehow "better" than just CD/T, but I've also been told that it carries more risk of abscess at the shot site, and other adverse reactions. If you haven't seen any problems with the vaccinated goats by now, you're fine. In future, though, the straight CD/T will do the job for less money.

6. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Write down what exactly the label says. Hopefully you did not give CL shots. Vicki

7. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

I checked it out, no CL! Whew, thank heavens! It covered the 8 different claustridial forms that SilverVista talked about. That makes me feel sooo much better! I was so anal about what I bought, I guess it is one of those stupid things I do.

8. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

Ok, Why no Cl shots. I thought many were using the sheep Cl to work on Cl in goats? I did hear from DH that there is a 1/10 chance that a goat vacc. w/ CL will come down with it. Is this why you don't give Cl shots?

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

When vaccinating for CL you will always test positive, from then on, on blood tests. The tests can not determine if you are positive for the disease or positive because you give the vaccine.

And sorry, I don't care who you are, if you try to sell me a goat who is positive for a zoonic, communicable disease, you can try and explain away all you want, it's vaccinated, it doesn't have abscess...sorry but I would NOT buy the goat, would you? And at some point even if you are just selling meat goats, you will have breeding stock for sale.

If your husband is correct, and one in 10 will get CL from the vaccine, than that is 3 does in my herd. They would have to be culled, the impact, 15$ in milksales each day, from $100 to $900 in kid sales each year. Sorry but I don't choose to treat a disease like CL in my herd by vaccinating (off species), injecting with formaline (the abscess you get) or lancing and letting the exude which is contagious infect my barn, my other goats, my property and other animals. Vicki

10. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I have a question that is a little off subject, yet still relevant. If I keep my herd only as pets, would it be ok to vaccinate them? I may have a goat with it, and I'd like to keep the rest safe.