Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dairy Farmer
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the vacation is over as of today. We had our first calf born this morning. She is a Stetson out of an 11 year old Trident. Only 29 more to go in the next 60 days. With the rest to calf in, in the next 6 months.

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
:1pig: Your piggies are gonna get fat now!:D
We just weaned off a big group of calves from our huge onslaught of births we had. Down to just 5 bottle babies now. However, I do have a bottle baby goat to add to the chore list now. Good luck calving all those ladies out.

Heather

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Up North said:
:However, I do have a bottle baby goat to add to the chore list now.
Oh com'on Heather.....you do know you can't have just one goat, right?? When you come, I can fix that one goat problem..... :D

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
ozark_jewels said:
Oh com'on Heather.....you do know you can't have just one goat, right?? When you come, I can fix that one goat problem..... :D
Oh no!! I knew adding another animal to the farm would be a slippery slope, especially one so cute and with so much personality. As it is we never intended to get this little bottle baby. We went to an auction to get some whethers to clean up the weeds in our pastures. When the bottle babies started going through the ring a little boy could be heard asking his parents if he could have that goat. When the owner of the sale barn heard that he started buying all the bottle babies and giving them away to the kids at the sale. As it is we ended up with 2 does instead of whethers. There weren't many whethers to be had and the ones that did go through the ring went high.

We better get back on topic here, Gin64 will get after me for stealing her thread. :)

Gin64, you'll have to post some pics of your new babies.

Heather

·
Dairy Farmer
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The old man thinks I have finally lost it. We had to more calves in the past three days. Bulls thank the lord. So today a calf buy stopped to look for calves sold the bulls for $150.00 a piece. They women started back to her car and spotted Wally.(the heifer) Asked me if I would sell her I told her no. She offered $1000.00 for her and I turned her down. It belongs to our youngest boy. Not to mention she is the first one of the season. Would post pics if I could but am not at that point in posting yet I guess.

·
Udderly Happy!
2,866 Posts
A thousand dollars around here offered for a heifer and I'd wrap them, box them, load them, and hand deliver them. I do understand kids and there pets. I've got a 3 year old wither at the house that my 6 year old has grown up with. I think the goat eats better than I do and I'm sure he's like a lot better!

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
Any more high-dollar calves pop out?
...found,er, well tripped over a new Ayrshire heifer Calf yesterday. All sleek & Shiny and licked clean. Stuffed into tall grass by it's Mama. Reckon I best shuffle on out to dry cow pasture and see who the Mama is :rolleyes: .

·
Dairy Farmer
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WE've got 10 up in the calving lot now that could drop any minute.Guess one of my projects next week wil be sorting the rest of the dry cows and bringing in the next bunch of springers.No rest for the wicked....

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
Gin64 said:
WE've got 10 up in the calving lot now that could drop any minute.Guess one of my projects next week wil be sorting the rest of the dry cows and bringing in the next bunch of springers.No rest for the wicked....
Couple Dairy farmers will be there Monday afternoon B4 Milking(If the creek don't rise)...could give you a hand sortin'&movin :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts