Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all my DH & I will be taking our vacation starting the 17th Sept. We will be travelling down to near Lancaster Pa & staying their 3 nights & then we go on to Williamsburg Va for 4 nights. We live in Ontario Canada near the border.
We would like some recommendations on what to see & do other than the obvious local things.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
Go to Jamestown when you are in Williamsburg (very close by) It's a recreation of the original village plus you can see archeological digs of the first American settlement.

If you have a half day, you can walk all over colonial williamsburg without paying (just cannot go in) It may save you a bit of cash.

·
Banned
9,283 Posts
If you have any interest in fabric, and if you get near the little town of Goodville, PA (its east of Lancaster) there is an old time general store called Obie's.

Don't make a special drive to get there but if you are in the area, be sure to stop.

This old, tiny store is over run with bolts of fabric!
Piled to the ceiling and stacked 5 bolts deep.

It is UNBELIEVABLE!
The upstairs loft area if loaded with finished quilts and other craft items.

And we stayed (twice) in a very nice B&B in Churchtown.

The town of Intercourse has a nice tourist type shopping area with several AMish type shops.
The main attraction is watching them can jams and perserves.
They have lots and lots of yummy samples.
http://www.kitchenkettle.com/

I love visiting the Weaver Land Valley Produce auction.
This isn't a market for small purchases but where produce is sold in bulk.
Its fun to watch all the Amish and Menonites bringing their produce in to sell.
There are lots and lots of horse/mule drawn wagons waiting for their turn to drive through the auction ring.

·
Banned
9,283 Posts
Mid Tn Mama said:
Go to Jamestown when you are in Williamsburg (very close by) It's a recreation of the original village plus you can see archeological digs of the first American settlement.

If you have a half day, you can walk all over colonial williamsburg without paying (just cannot go in) It may save you a bit of cash.

Yes----The streets of Williamsburg are public streets and there is no charge to walk them.
Lots of gardens and street markets.
However if you want to tour the inside of the more historical buildings/museums, then you need to pay for a ticket or pass.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
If this is probably going to be your only trip to the area, I would go ahead and buy the tickets and do the whole tour of Colonial Williamsburg.

If you are into shopping, there used to be a place called The Pottery or Williamsburg Pottery. Not sure if it's still there but it was huge with lots of bargains!

If you're going through Richmond, you might want to stop and visit Hollywood Cemetery! Some Presidents are buried there along with lots of Confederate soldiers. Here's a link:

http://www.hollywoodcemetery.org/

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you are at all interested in the American Civil War, you might want to go to Gettysburg, PA or any of the battlefields in Virginia - Manassas/Bull Run comes to mind.

Don't know if there are many caverns in your part of Canada, but Luray Caverns in Luray, VA are pretty impressive.

·
Registered
134 Posts
What road are you taking to get from PA to VA? Are you going down route 15? If so there are several spots along that route that are great to stop off if you need a break from the car. First on 15 south is Cunningham Falls State Park, which has nice hike to the Falls. If you like Civil War battelfields there is also Antietam Battlefield, MD and Harpers Ferry, WV both as you are heading south. Those two parks are with in 15 min of each other. Harpers Ferry over looks the joining of the Shenadoha and Patomac Rivers, my fav place to innertube. Also you may pass thru Washington, DC and there is a lot to see at the Smithsonian, my favorites are the Air and Space Center and the Natural History Museum they also have a new Native American Center but I haven't seen it yet. Lots of good museums and monuments in that area. Just grab a map of Maryland and you should be able to find most of these places. Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Grandmotherbear said:
Eastern VA in the Washington suburbs will probably be stinking hot and humid...
I would think things would be slightly better than stinking hot and humid by the end of September......but I guess it can flare up, temperature-wise, into October....

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If you are coming all the way to Lancaster, PA, why not spend a day to visit the historic spots in Philadelphia? Or you can go another 70 miles to the shore in NJ and sit on the beach and vegitate while the kids play. No beach tags after Labor Day and no crowds, either. Lots of good places to eat all around Lancaster but some are expensive. Food in Philly can be cheap or expensive depending on your tastes, etc. In the Philly area you need to try soft pretzels, hoagies, scrapple, and TastyKakes. If you go through DE, you can shop tax free. On the route to VA you need to visit the Eastern Shore area of MD and have a crab feast. Lots of pretty little towns all along the Chesapeake Bay area. Try to work in a visit to Tangier Island if possible on the way down the coast.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
hmmm,,, if a civil war buff, go by Gettysburg, if you are in the area, maybe appomattox where the first surrender occured. if you are Williamsburg bound,,bring lotts of money, jamestown is a must. maybe cross the bay bridge/tunnel.

Smithsonian would take a week to do it justice.

if doing a loop, thomas jefferson's home (the one he had when an unknown which is near appomattox , then west to blue ridge parkway and head north. lots of history just east of parkway or interstate 81, as is luaray caverns.

that late in year temp/humidity should be bareable. there will be no color in fall leaves this year as, in general, the whole state has a serious lack of rain.

carefull to time the traffic around and in washington, richmond is almost impossable to navigate through (lots of oneways, deadends, and bad neighborhoods) be aware the 2/3's of all crime in virginia occurs in richmond and norfolk.

in general, the further south you go, the friendler the people will be, as are the people along the parkway. (kaddy bar the door.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.