Vacation w/horse?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sidepasser, May 31, 2005.

1. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am not sure that this is the correct place to post this - but has anyone here taken a vacation with their horse or gone on a ranch type vacation and dragged their horse along?

Reason I'm asking is I am thinking of doing that this fall. I am looking for a place where I can ride all day and not see a fence and frankly, I really don't care to see people either :grump: so dude ranches are out...last thing I want to see is city people trying to learn how to ride...

Anyone know a good ranch I could pay to bunk and bring my hot headed TB and my cool mule?? It's not a question of being cheap or not spending money, but more of peace and quiet and getting this TB under saddle for miles and miles..I don't want to work while I am "working" on this horse of mine. I've got a trailer with sleeping quarters, but would need a place to eat/bath/etc.

I've checked on the 'net and some places want close to two grand for a week and for that I can "herd" their cows...give me a break...my TB would step gingerly around the first cow and head for the hills - hey that's a plus - I wouldn't see people for months....if they ever found me...

Suggestions on how to find a place/ranch/vacation???

Thanks a bunch,
    Sidepasser

2. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know if this place has stables, but I stayed in an awesome little cabin outside of fredericksburg texas on 60 acres that butted up next to Enchanted Rock State Park. There is a fence, but it's 60 acres. There is a killer creek too. If this sounds interesting to you, I'll let you know the name of the place. In spring it's covered in blue bonnets and I saw 4 colors of bluebonnets.

3. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Hey Sidepasser,

Don't know of any 'ranches' that offer what you're looking for....but.....

have you considered some of the national forest's? When my relatives all pack up and head to CO for elk season, they always bring their horses...I've ridden one of my BIL's horses all day, and might meet a cross fence...

I've worked in some of the national forest wildernesses and the only way to easily tote all of the hand tools for clearing logs off the trail, fix washouts, and whatnot, was to use horses and mules...I've rode 30 miles a day and not seen a soul, a fence, anything but wide open spaces.

If you're needing 'facilities', you could camp out in the edge of the forest, and run to town for showers/hot meals...that's what we do when we start getting 'too ripe', and the little trickle type showers don't really cut it.

The only thing I'd worry about is security, of course, and the fear of an equine outbreak of some sort, and having your horses quarantined in some far off part of the country. Last couple of years there's been some fear of equine disease breaking out, and the possibility of not being able to get our horses back home....the real fear was getting snowed in, but that's different.....

good luck....
    phil

4. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

A friend of mine takes hers out to a ranch in Co. They ride out there. I'll try to find out the name.

There is also that group of towns that you can only have horses in out by kingman, Az. site url is on one of these post

5. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

There are 2 horse camps on Highway 16 west between Custer and the Wyoming state line. Both adjoin FOrest SErvice land with miles and miles of riding available. One camp has a B&B, teepees, or cabins to rent also. Custer State Park on the East side of town has lots of facilities for horse camping.

6. OD

OD Well-Known Member

One of these might be just what you're looking for. Several of our friends have been to Big Bend Ranch State Park on trailrides, & they say it is awesome. I don't know if they allow individual riders or not.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/activities/equine/

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

You might want to check out dinosaur national monument in western colorado/eastern utah. There is a nice campground in Jensen, Utah right across the highway from the visitor's center and the turn off to the park. It is all farms around the campground. There is also a campground in Dinosaur, CO and a park entrance/headquarters there. You could lose yourself in that park for many weeks if you want. Fantastic scenery, not many people.

http://www.nps.gov/dino/

8. sidepasser

Hi,

Y'all are the nicest folks! Thanks so much for the information, I am thinking either New Mexico, Texas or somewhere like that.

I am kinda scared about using a state park because I will have to leave my truck/trailer there and the mule or horse (I want to start out with the mule ponying the horse - he is used that and then leave the mule behind and just ride the horse). Honor can be a handful, so would have to take my cell phone just in case..and also a GPS - he doesn't have the sense a mule has about coming home (home being the trailer and feed).

But those ideas sound great - I was thinking a ranch because they could kinda "watch after" the mule while I am gone, I couldn't leave her tied to a trailer all day with no one to see after her.

Thanks for the suggestions, maybe there is a state camp that has boarding?

I will follow up on some of your suggestions and see - I'm so outta here it's not even funny..haven't had a decent vacation in a long, long time...

Thanks
    Sidepasser

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Blue Mountain Animal Boarding in Dinosaur, CO. They are friends of mine. If you decided to try there they might be able to watch him. Fine folks.

10. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

If South Dakota is not too far, you might give Hideaway of the Mountains Camp in Nemo, SD a call. They have places for horsepeople to camp, but are not a campground, you pay by the horse! You have the trails of the Black Hills to roam and the town of Nemo is right there. This is their business, vacations for people with horses.

Here is an ad I found online for them at Horse and Mule Trail Guide http://www.horseandmuletrails.com/Sd.htm
    "Hideaway of the Mountains (H.O.M.)
    Nemo: Wow,,going into our 10th summer....We have made a lot of changes and improvements....We have many,, many trails to ride on,,and the centenial trail just a few minutes away for you to enjoy...The cost at HOM CAMP is-$14.oo per horse, per night....camping comes with that.
    We have electrical hook-ups, porta poddys, shower houses(nicest in the west), campfire and wood, brick charcoal grill. Your horse pens are paneled and large to accomondate how many head you bring, water availabe at the pens, Water also available in campground to fill campers, local sanitation will dump your campers for a fee. Cleanest, prettiest, camp that caters to horse people, you will find!!!!!!
    RULES------NO DOGS,,NO STUDS,,,NO MOTORIZED TOYS!!!!!!! Come enjoy the Beautiful Black Hills at HOM!!!
    Jan 605-578-3461 Nemo,,,S.D. 1/2 mile south of Nemo

More info contact Jan Kaberna, H.0.M. HORSE CAMP.
    For your assurance of a spot, call as soon as you can.
    Box 102, Nemo, S.D. 57759
    Call Jan at 605-578-3461

There are several other horse camps in the Black Hills too and many of them are at the link above. So is Jan Kaberna's email address. I know this place and it has a great reputation among horse people.

Cheryl in SD

11. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

Too bad you aren't closer to Pennsylvania. Summers' Allegheny Trail Rides would be right up your alley. They have plenty of places to ride, stalls available, etc. I understand they aren't over-priced. I've been down there...a friend was married there :)

12. Yercy

Yercy New Member

Since you are considering Texas check out Bandera. There are several places that offer vacations with your own horses. At the Hill Country Equestrian lodge guests can bring their own horses and ride throughout the ranch and the adjacent state natural area, something like 5500 acres. If that area interests you at all you can plug bandera texas vacation with horses into a search engine and come up with several choices. It is near San Antonio, Texas.

13. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

I imagine Oregon is too far a stretch, but since you brought up the topic, I thought maybe this would be interesting for future reference! There are at least two State Parks in Oregon that have campsites set up for horse people. (I've been to each, but haven't heard if there are any others.) Each site has extra parking room for your truck and trailer. Log-style pens for 2 horses, and room for your tent and kitchen area. One is at Silver Falls and backs up to miles and miles of BLM trails in the mountains. The other is at Nehalem, on the coast. That one has a couple of miles of beach that are roped off for riders only, and there are public flush toilets and showers within a short walk from the horse camping area. Prices are extremely reasonable, and our horses ADORE running in the surf. I actually only live about 20 minutes from the Silver Falls camp, but one summer we needed a break so badly that we hauled the horses up, set up camp, got up in the morning and came down the mountain to check cattle and pick up the mail, then went back up to camp! My family usually camps with several other horse friends so there is lots of sharing the chores and cooking. Definitely my favorite kind of vacation.

Susan

14. sidepasser

Hi,

I can't go so far as Oregon but the Bandera TX and the SD trip are feasible. Heck Honor's been shipped all over the country for racing, so he is used to riding in a trailer.

Around here you can't ride ten minutes without possible death by automobile or being chased by someone's dog..just what I need with this horse. Now the mule on the other hand, just target practices with dogs..she's gotten real good about sighting in when they run up and try to nip her heels (course that can kinda unseat a person if you aren't expecting it).

Thanks again, I've got several good ideas now, I just can't believe that there are people out there who will pay to chase someone else's cows...guess if I had a dairy I would charge folks to milk them...kind of Tom Sawyerish, don't you think?

Take care,
    Sidepasser