Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been months since I had my head in a great book! I love murder mysteries such as written by James Patterson, Scott Turow and Patricia Cornwell just to name a few. Any new suggestions for a week at the beach? Thanks Queen Bee

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
The mysteries of John Dickson Carr are very good, especially "The Three Coffins" and "The Crooked Hinge." Also excellent is "The Mystery of the Yellow Room" by Gaston Leroux (the same author who wrote "The Phantom of the Opera").

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
My all time favorites are the entire Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald and the Spenser series by Robert Parker. You just can't beat those for satisfaction.

There's also something about a large set of books by a dead author (MacDonald, not Parker). It's like a rare vintage of an exceptional wine. When you finish them, there will never be another like it.

I've got two of the entire series of McGee books that I haven't read. They elevate my spirits just having them in my possession and I know that eventually, when I'm in a very dark and depressed state, I can pull them out and they'll get me through.

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Ernie said:
There's also something about a large set of books by a dead author (MacDonald, not Parker). It's like a rare vintage of an exceptional wine. When you finish them, there will never be another like it.
My DH feels this way about the Patrick O'Brian books. I believe that there are twenty of them in the series. They are the basis for the movie "Master and Commander" :)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I am really enjoying Donna Andrews books. I just finished listening to Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon on my Ipod (yeah, I am getting into this!). Her books are hilarious, if you need a good laugh.

Sorry I can't recommend any mysteries - they scare me. :)

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
You just can't go wrong with the Robicheaux series by James Lee Burke. Totally sweeps you away to New Iberia Parish, LA. You forget where you are. Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's Pendergast series is pure genius. I lock myself up until finish a new one. DH is kind enough to handle the house while I hole up.
And for the perfect beach read.. Natural Selection by David Freedman. All about evolving Manta ray monsters. Very fun.
Or Martha Grimes if you like an English setting in your detective series.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
chickenista said:
Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's Pendergast series is pure genius. I lock myself up until finish a new one. DH is kind enough to handle the house while I hole up.
DH and I love their books!! Have you read the new one?

A couple other mystery writers to check out are Nevada Barr and Diane Mott Davidson.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.