VA home loans- the easier way

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by Jenn, Jun 9, 2006.

  1. Jenn

    Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

    Nov 9, 2004
    Wading through the paperwork to buy a house soon I learned this at

    "... It's also possible to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility from your lender. Most lenders have access to the ACE (automated certificate of eligibility) system. This Internet based application can establish eligibility and issue an online Certificate of Eligibility in a matter of seconds. Not all cases can be processed through ACE - only those for which VA has sufficient data in our records. However, veterans are encouraged to ask their lenders about this method of obtaining a certificate."

    In other words, instead of completing the form and sending off along with proof of military service (a nuisance to obtain for active military), why not ask your lender to check if they can get it in a few minutes (as USAA did for us yesterday) over the internet even before you start the slow snail mail process to accomplish the same thing.

    Sadly we first waited for a letter from his command, sent it off, a month later got a letter saying the command had done the letter wrong, ask for a second letter,.... several hours for us and command and several dollars postage and several weeks worrying whether we would have the certificate in time. Only after panicking I might not have it in time did I ask USAA to calm all my worries- could've saved us a lot of trouble and marital grumpiness by doing the internet check in hte first place (and if that didn't work then you know how crucial it is to get the smail mail process done correctly)