VA Health Benefits

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by moopups, Sep 12, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    It seems that as baby-boomers get older, they are exsperiencing the delayed effects of PTSD; their carrers are behind them, children are old enought to be out on their own, now the delayed effects are seeping in. And what does your government do about this - they abandon the veterans. The cost is too much - it distracts from the currant agenda. What do you think is going to happen to todays Gulf War era veterans in the future? What about the people over there now? OIL for the Bushtard and his croneys is the agenda; family feud is the order of the day; 40 or so years back the Arab and the Bush family were bedfellows. Need I say more?

Common sense has fled Washington, compasion is no longer in style. Its now the New World Order's options of what to do. The media is owned by the CIA, its time for a 3rd party to run things. Relegalize Freedom.

2. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

I served in the Coast Guard from 1970 - 1974 and I never thought I would use the health benefits either. But a few years ago I saw which way the wind was blowing and enrolled just under the wire. I have not as yet used my benefits but at least I'm registered. While Congress is trying to close not only bases but hospitals as well, the only thing you can do is pay attention to the upcoming candidates and sign as many petitions as possible supporting veterans benefits. This link will give you an unbiased look at current officials and candidates (national and State), as well as where his or her funding is coming from and if possible the voting record of that person.

http://www.vote-smart.org/

By the way, I saw this editorial in our local paper this morning and though it does not discuss this subject directly, it might be worth contemplation.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/editorial/12608691.htm

3. KAK

KAK Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies and websites. Stupid me, I thought my veterans health benefits would always be there if I needed them. I will definitely look at the vote-smart website.

4. copperhead51

copperhead51 Well-Known Member

Why should you be entitled to any health benefits?

5. KAK

KAK Well-Known Member

Because I am a veteran and should be able to at least apply and be granted or rejected according to the process set up by the VA. As I said, I am in Priority 8, and very possibly in this day of decreasing funding, not be eligible, but I should at least be able to go through the process. I know several people in Priority 8 who have used VA health facilities for their medical care. They accessed them prior to January 2003.

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Copperhead51, possiabily your not aware of the fact that our service persons were exposed to toxic chemicals that were claimed to be safe in Viet Nam. Agent Orange has been proven positive to cause 8 different types of cancer, birth defects in the children of those exposed to it, and a positive link to diabeties. Any person who served in VN is automatically connected to benifits via the laws congress passed. The VAs sidestepping these people is a blatant crime in my opinion. But, of course the VA is not the guilty persons whom removed funds for this program, it was the currant political party and president seated.

Apparently the funds were needed for foreign aid, war efforts, and general waste.

What about the Desert Storm troops whom have a mystery illness, they are currant victums, do they deserve any attention or compensation?

Any time one puts their life on the line for their country - they are owed health benifits for their service, and anything connected with it, period.

7. Southernman

Southernman Well-Known Member

When I got out after 13 years, I was told by VA that I could receive treatment for the injuries sustained while on active duty. Nothing else. And the injuries have to claimed and awarded as service connected. I am not aware that anything under 20 years or a medical retirement is entitled to full benefits for life. only for service connected injuries.

8. KAK

KAK Well-Known Member

http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/home/hecmain.asp

http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/eligibility/epg_all.asp

The first web address is for the VA health benefits website. The second outlines the Priority Groups for eligibility. You don't have to have a service related condition to apply and be accepted (Priority Groups 7 and 8)...except if you haven't applied prior to Janunary 2003. Yes, there are a lot of conditions, but not having a service related condition does NOT automatically eliminate you from eligibility. But it's all moot if you can't even apply for eligibility.

9. Southernman

Thanks, KAK. I was sure told wrong by VA. According to the website you posted, I am in priority group 3 (20% disabled). I just printed out the app. and will mail it out asap.

10. KAK

KAK Well-Known Member

I am SO glad that this information is applicable to you. Good luck!

11. copperhead51

copperhead51 Well-Known Member

KAK didn't say anything about it being service related.

12. KAK

KAK Well-Known Member

Copperhead 51,
    What is your question, or point?

13. Southernman

KAK, copperhead51 apparently doesn't know that a service related injury/illness makes a difference in the care you receive. I doubt there was a point to his/her last post.

14. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

service related disability (i'm rated at 40%) will get you into the va for health care, and after that, they will, if the dr you are assigned says you need it, treat you for other things. i am lucky that i have a dr who believes that all my care should be covered, and ordered baseline tests applicable to a woman my age this summer. i was worried, b/c i don't have the best health insurance, so i asked about the cost of what the insurance wouldn't cover, and was told the va does bill the insurance for the care, and apparently covers what insurance doesn't. i will continue to carry the health insurance thru work (i'm a teacher and the state pays my insurance) just to cover times when i can't get to the va (out of state of whatever)

i'm really glad that i finally went thru the rigamarole to get into the va health care system this summer, they saw me immediately when my injury acted up not long ago, and took care of me quickly, so i could get back to work as soon as possible.

fight it, KAK, you should at least be offered the opportunity to apply-

15. Donna-6

Donna-6 Well-Known Member

uRGENT!!! pLEASE HAVE YOUR HUSBAND,S psa COUNT DONE. iF HE WAS IN SERVICE. mINE NEVER THOUGHT ANY THING ABOUT IT. oNLY SIMPLE BLOOD TEST, THAT,SD IT. iT CAN BE ,LIFE OR DEATH. mINE FOUND OUT HE HAD PROSTATE-CANCER. iT GOES FRON 0-10 10 BEING FULL BLOWN CANCER. hIS WAS 8.90. tHANK gOD WE FOUND IT IN TIME. pLEASE HAVE IT DONE! iF HE HAS HIS CHOLESTEROL DONE, REMIND THEM TO CHECH THIS TOO. cAN DO 7-DIFFERENT THINGS A ONE TIME, BY THIS REMEMBER ONLY BLOOD TEST..cOULD BE BETWEEN LIFE AND DEATH!!! please!!!!

16. Donna-6

Donna-6 Well-Known Member

mY HUSBAND WAS IN ARMY. nEVER THOUGHT HE WAS IN DANGER. fOUND OUT HE HAD PROSTATE -CANCER IN 2002 oNLY HURTING IN GROINS SOME. tHOUGHT IT WEAS FROM HURNIA OPERASTION PREVIOUS SOME YEARS AGO. iT RUNS FROM 0 TO 10. fOUND OUT. wHEN HE HAD IT DONE [BLOOD TEST] IT WAS 4.0 THAT SEEMED OK. iN 2-MONTHS IT WENT TI 8.90 ALMOST TOO LATE. pLEASE HAVE THIS CHECKED. dON,T WAIT!! lONGER YOU WAIT WORSE IT WILL BE. mINE NOW CAN NOT HOLD URINE. but< i still love him pLEASE REMEMBER THIS!!! gOD -bLESSS

17. Jack Parr

Jack Parr Well-Known Member

I wondering what your point is?

I know a few folks who never went near the service and have prostate problems, cancer included. I was in the service for 22 years and I dont have prostate problems, so far, and I had a PSA test done last week.

If you husband was/is a smoker there may well be your answer, if your are looking for an answer. Cancer can be caused by many things and there is NO CONCLUSIVE finding of what causes cancer, as of yet.

JP

18. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I could be totally wrong, but it is my understanding after talking with the VA clinic locally that if you come into the clinic on a medical emergency (chest pains, short of breath, unconsious, disoriented, etc.,) that they cannot refuse treatment of a veteran. If you were to go into the clinic and treatment was initiated and a file was set up, they would not be able to refuse treatment in the future for any reason.

Like I said, this is just what I heard from an employee at the clinic, I don't know if it is correct or not. But if I wanted it badly enough, I'd give it a shot. After all, you got nothing to lose, unfortunately.

donsgal
    1974 - 1976 PFC, 4th Infantry Batt. Ft. Carson, Colorado