VA disability records request

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by designer, Jan 12, 2007.

1. designer

designer Well-Known Member

I'm very confused here. :shrug: To make a long story short, my son is almost 24, went in the Army, during AIT the base doctor sent him to a VA hospital for depression. After a lengthy stay he was diagnosed with, sorry I can't spell it, skitsaphrenia and processed out after 8 months with an honorable discharge for medical reasons. He's being seen at the VA hospital and they are supplying his medication. But the local VA office says he is not eligable for any benefits because of the length of time he was in.

Well, we got a letter in the mail requesting medical records as proof for his disability claim. He had not applied. Maybe the doctor did? Is it automatic? Well I thought it would be good to comply because it maybe hard for him to hold a job, he's looking now so we'll have to see how it goes. But I don't know what to send. They have a release form to sign and they will get the records, but you have to write down the places, dates and such of "said" records. The military handled all of his treatment, they have all his records. What could they possibly need from me? Could I just put the base as one location? and the VA hospital as another? I don't have doctor's names or phone numbers, and they say on the top of the form it should take 5 minutes to complete! :flame: How does this work?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    National Personnel Records Center
    Military Personnel Records
    9700 Page Avenue
    St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

3. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

They will need as MUCH information as you can give!!! Sit down with your son and try to go over the treatment for his illness, where he was, spring/summer/fall/winter and year. You will need base and hospital.

If you write to the records center you MUST include dates of service and you MUST REQUEST SPECIFICALLY ALL MEDICAL RECORDS!!! The records you seek may not even be at the records center yet...it can take a LONG time for them to get there! It can also take a long time to hear back from the records center. (months) And I hate to say it, but medical records are easily seperated from other records (and lost).

These people http://p203.ezboard.com/bvetbenefits can offer a LOT of suggestions to help in this situation.

Mon

4. ma1bob

ma1bob Victory Gardener

First things first. Contact your county courthouse and find out who the VA rep is for your area. Take your son's DD214 (discharge) and any and all medical records you do have. They will assist you in filing for benefits. You can also check with your local VFW or American Legion. They both have VA reps to assist you. Don't be shy, they will help you. Vets helping vets.

Cheers

Bob

5. lonelytree

lonelytree Guest

This is very good advice. Usually they have offices at the VA hospitals.

6. designer

designer Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. He doesn't go back to the hospital until April, 2hr drive. But he did go to the local VA rep. That's the one who told him he wasn't eligible for benefits. But that was before he got this request. Maybe if he takes it in they can help him with it. There is a time limit on the form, I think they only gave him 10 days. Getting him to remember isn't easy, the meds have him spaced out most of the time and sleeping the rest. I'll try to get him to the local rep this week. Thanks.

7. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

um, he needs to go to the local va hospital and get them to help him. if his discharge was a medical board, it'll be on the dd214. not service connected, but he needs to exhaust all avenues.

8. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    A I T is an early stage of military training, maybe he did not have the required 180 days of active service.

I don't know if that is still the requirements or not.