V.P. piggies

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Queen Bee, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Home again, home again, dance a jig!!! All is well that ends well! Both V.P.piggies are home safe and sound and their "daddy" fixed the gate so they can't escape until they get the new lot built! Thanks Debbie

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Well, if they are used to seeing a feed bucket, that might help motivate them. I'd put something w/ a nice aroma in there for them (cooked veggies, cooked chicken, corn w/ molasses, etc.). They might even follow the mother more readily than you and your dh if they're not used to you guys. Good luck. It is nice to see someone as concerned about their neighbors animals as they would be about their own. :)

3. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I am sucker for any kind of animal--except those with 'no shoulders' ~~~~"

:eek: .. I can't bear to see anything lonely, hungry or hurt... I know the piggies are lonely for each other but we tried the bucket with apples, dog food, sweet feed and carrots.... nothing would make her follow me! I stood on the neighbors porch screaming "here piggy, here piggy" " su-pig, su-pig" "piggie, piggieeeeeeeeee" . I would take bites of apple and throw it about 2 feet in front of them and they would follow me about 10 feet and then run back... Dh thinks I am crazy.... says when their 'parents' come home and they call them --the piggies will come back...

4. unixguy

unixguy Member

Quote: I'd put something w/ a nice aroma in there for them (cooked veggies, cooked chicken, corn w/ molasses, etc.

For this we have found that NOTHING works better than Mcdonald's French Fries. Our pigs will go anywhere and do ANYTHING for them. It makes the 20 mile trip to town worth it!

Unixguy

5. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

Our VP's like potato slices...they seem to love to crunch them, LOL!

When ours got out, I left a trail of breadcrumbs and they followed, slowly.

Treat them gently, no loud or sudden noises or quick movements and they will follow you.

Now, we got a problem, Hubby finally got the big one to eat out of his hand and he has tusks. He bit my husbands (not viciously, just expecting something to eat) hand while he was out under the shade tree reading the other day.

He has become a little agressive in that he follows us and he is bigger than a dog so it's a little intimidating, LOL!