Utility Bill Updates!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FrankTheTank, Feb 6, 2005.

1. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Well...After talking with several people, i've come to the conclusion that it might be cheaper to over winter in MExico instead of here in WI!

For roughly a month---
    Mine were cheap due to wood burning:a little over $100 gas/electric
    Brother #1-$430 + $100 worth of wood pellets=$530
    Brother #2-$257 for gas only(electric?)
    Mom-$230 for very small house kept @ 62F (only her!)

conclusion---
    Lets get this heating season over with!

comments...other outrageous examples? (i've heard of $600+ bills too)

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

My highest bill this winter, for one month of natural gas was $850.

I pay $400 a month for gas and electric on the level payment deal.

Huge, old, drafty house.

Jena

3. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

OUCH :)

Atleast is been a mild few days, that should shave a little off this months...

4. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

I moved into my present house in the summer. The first year here, I had spend $1900 in oil by the end of December. My tanks were filled twice before the end of the year. My woodstove was up and running the day after New Years, and I now burn less then $80 in oil for the entire winter.

Best investment I ever made. Burn lots of wood though.

Pete

5. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Spent $27.50 so far on firewood (winter started in September), and about half of that wood I'm turning into a woodfloor :D So, I've spent about $13 for heating. I'm estimating another $30 or so for the rest of the heating season (up to the end of May). I do have propane heaters which I'm not using this year for the first time. If I did, it'd cost me about $150-200 a month. Wood heat only works fine and dandy, especially since I know how much I'm NOT spending on propane!

6. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Wow, what large bills, $600+. :p

Some people around me might have done that for the month of January. Most are on natural gas which is probably $5 - 6 a unit. Most probably do $2,000 total for the year.

So far this year I have spent Squat, Zero, Nada, Zip. Will net out the entire year the same. Been the nicest, warmest year I've had in a long time. Burning down the excess inventory, no need to save anything. Only will go to the new owner.

Got oil, never burns. Lots of free newspaper, wood and an entire bin full of coal long ago paid off. In fact, burning up all the crap to get rid of it, tend to over heat the house. HS Tarm solid fueled forced hot water, only way to travel. I always will want one.

In the future I really want my own hydro electric plant, that and a HS Tarm boiler back unit. I never want to pay a heating bill, will crawl thru broken glass and barbed wire to avoid it. Don't care what I got to pay to build whatever it takes, energy independence is the only way to ride. Pay once, forget it.

7. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

I remember paying 700 a month once back in 82 for heating oil. Never again. This year I bought 2 gallons of gas mixed with 2 stroke oil and 2 jugs of bar oil for maybe 12 dollars total. I think I have enough wood cut and split for the next 3 winters. Electric averages 50 bucks a month and I am on rural water which is about 25 a month for a total of 912 dollars for a years worth of utilities.

8. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

For last month (remember we were in the deep freeze....some -35ºF days):

Gas: $160 (for heat, stove/oven, hot water heater and dryer)

Electric: $35

9. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Just fuel/oil for saw and some gas for pickup far as heat goes. Electric has zoomed this past year. Most winters for last few years my electric was around $20. Its now low $30s. No air conditioner last summer and I almost hit $40. Used to be around $30 WITH air conditioner. Nope, not using any more, Bush's buddies needed to make payments on bigger boats I guess. I know sounds silly to complain about my electric bill in terms of actual number of pictures of George Washington, but think of the PERCENTAGE increase. Quite a big increase percentage wise.

10. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

This terrible trailer is all electric. We're in Alabama. Our most current Alabama Power bill is $779.62.

That includes the payment on the refridgerator that will be sold to my brother when we move. That also includes the payoff amount on the budget billing. The budget billing amount was $474.13. They said that we'd have to pay off the budget billing balance before we could have our service transfered to the new place next month.

11. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Electric $90 - 100/month

Oil $191.00/month budget payment for 9 months and then $100/month for the other three and either we get some $$ back at end of contract if we didn't use that much oil or we owe if we used more. We also use some of our wood from trees that were cut down. Those rates also include 24 hour service calls and most parts (we have an older furnace)

They just topped off our 260 gall. tank filled with 160 gallons it would have cost $341.00 if we didn't have our contract to spread it out.

12. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Electric $90 - 100/month

Oil $191.00/month budget payment for 9 months and then $100/month for the other three and either we get some $$ back at end of contract if we didn't use that much oil or we owe if we used more. We also use some of our wood from trees that were cut down. Those rates also include 24 hour service calls and most parts (we have an older furnace)

They just topped off our 260 gall. tank filled with 150 gallons it would have cost $341.00 if we didn't have our contract to spread it out.

13. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

185 for natural gas last month,plus extra 20 in electric for 2 ceiling fans.Its been rather mild temp wise this year,thank goodness.And last year didnt have ceiling fans,while a bit colder,bills were in the 300-400 month range.Ceiling fans sure do pay for me with 14 foot vaulted ceilings.

BooBoo

14. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

I live in a all electric trailer, my power bill ranges from $80-$260 :eek:

15. jukebox

jukebox Well-Known Member

Received our electric bill today and the new gimmick is a "fuel cost adjustment".

UPS, FED-X and all the trucking firms have a fuel adjustment-- now the electric company. We had 2 pallets delivered by truck last week, one trip, and the fuel adjustment was $50.00.

16. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Heat with wood.Our Electric runs $60 a month year round.

big rockpile

17. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Large home 9 ft ceilings and full basement all total electric using a geothermal heatpump and I had the highest bill ever. For 34 days, $170 and this includes the large farm shop lighting and hotwater heater plus air compressor. Heat in shop is from K1 kerosene.

18. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

These threads always put it in perspective for me. I thought our electric bill was high, what with the new refrigerator, old stand-up freezer, running the circulation on the hottub 24/7 with the cold weather (its outside). Our highest electric bill is $45 a month and that happens this time of year. We pay an additional $18 for water, $17 for trash and about $18/month for two newspapers to be delivered daily.

Our gas is free because we have a gas well. So we are plenty warm and can't complain about that.

19. limey

limey Well-Known Member

I have an 1848 sq ft manufactured home with the Good Cents insulation package. Just got my bill yesterday and couldn't be more pleased. I just moved at the end of November and at my previous stick built house (1840 sq ft) the gas/electric bill would have been closer to $200. Not to mention my mortgage is $500 less. Whoohoo! In two months' savings I can buy a riding lawnmower!!!!

20. jgbndaudio

jgbndaudio Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Since you have an oil furnace you can burn up to 10-15% used vegetable oil (WVO) with no modifications. In most areas of the country restaurants have to pay to get rid of their used oil and will give it away free.
    Scotty