UTI home treatment?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jillianjiggs, Oct 19, 2004.

1. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

I was feeling sooo crummy last week. I figured that it might have been the thick smoke (couldn't even see the sun) that had socked in the valley from the wildfires nearby. Friday night I went to the ER for a pain shot because of a migraine. I slept the whole next day (NOT normal) and woke up feeling like Hell. My head was throbbing and my stomach hurt so bad I could barely get out of bed. My husband dragged me kicking and screaming back to the ER. After another dose of painkillers to calm me down, they ran a urine test and found that I had a UTI.

I've been on Cipro since Saturday night, and it seems like it's finally starting to help with the pain in my kidneys. I still feel funky and my back is achy... What are your home remedies to help with a UTI?

2. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

Cranberry juice, lots and lots of water and other fluids.

I used to buy some drops for bladder infection from vitiman shoppe but last time I looked at their catalog I couldn't find it for sale. It was drops you put in water and drank. Tasted nasty but would cut the pain.

The Cipro should start helping but be sure you drink lots of fluids.

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Drinking a lot helps, but they probably told you that at the hospital. UTI's are terrible, aren't they?

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Cranberry juice and LOTS of liquids!

I drink a glass of cranberry juice a day just to prevent UTIs. It really does help. Drinking lots of liquids will help move all the gunk out of your bladder.

It sounds like your UTI moved up into your kidneys. That can get serious in a big hurry - my sister-in-law just had to have one of her kidneys removed because they couldn't clear up the infection (tried every medication out there and every alternative therapy anyone could come up with) and didn't want to risk the healthy kidney. Not something I ever want to go through. I'm usually at the doctor the minute it starts to burn when I urinate.

5. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

I have always used cranberry or cran blends juices....and lots of water. Try to keep them empty, take it easy and try to find your triggers to avoid them. For me , its Pepsi. I'm sure there are some on here who use herbals that might help a bit more.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Uva Ursi. Works for me lots better than any antibiotic the docs ever gave me and no side effects that I've seen. I take the capsules from puritan's pride. You can grow the stuff yourself. It is also called 'bear berry' and it grows pretty much wild in lots of areas. I have some seed and if I ever get settled and quit moving I will grow my own.

This is an herb that is used by indigenous people around the world for kidney infections.

7. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

Wild oregano oil. Kicked the bug when nothing else would.

8. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Just what I was going to say.. .except, take it with 1 glass of water with 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda stirred it. Do not eat 1 hour before or after taking the uva ursi. Uva ursi should not be taken on a for long periods of time, try 10 days.

9. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

I also vote for the cranberry juice. I had a UTI in my teens and learned what it felt like. Since then - whenever I feel one coming on - I drink lots of cranberry juice and it always clears up. I haven't had one in over 25 years.

By 'lots' I mean approx. 1 gal. spread out over three days.

10. tonto

tonto Well-Known Member

I used to get UTI every couple of years. They're horrible. I sympathize.
    I used to go to a clinic and they gave me some sort of pill that made me
    pee orange.

I have since discovered that an over the counter drug called Cystex works
    just as well. I've also tried some drug store generics that claim to take care
    of UTIs, but for me they don't do anything.

-tonto

11. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

Most UTIs are caused by e-coli bacteria. Finish all of the Cipro. Along with 8-10 glasses of water daily. Wipe yourself front to back when visiting the restroom. A diet low in sugars helps. Acidophilus taken with the Cipro will help prevent a yeast infection.Cranberry juice helps because it acidifies the urine and inhibits bacterial growth. Hope you are feeling better quickly. If you do not feel better, return for a urine culture to be sure you got the right antibiotic.

12. heidiwwa

heidiwwa New Member

Yes, lots of water and cranberry juice and even the cranberry pills will help. Cipro is the best but get some yeast infection medicine, because that usually comes next, because the cipro kills off all your bacteria...even the good ones that keep the yeasties at bay. And not to barge in where I don't belong, the best defense against UTI's is to urinate within 30 minutes of having sex. Your Dr. probably mentioned this but coming from a previous cronic UTI sufferer it really, really helps!! UTI's are completely miserable and really prevention is the best defense...even if you miss out on some sleep...drink water and go PEE!!

BEST WISHES

13. uyk7

uyk7 Well-Known Member

Cipro for a UTI? Cipro is what they use for anthrax. I didn't think they used Cipro unless other antibiotics failed or for anthrax due to the possible side affects, some of which are serious.

14. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I'm with Heidi... I carried a UTI through 6 courses of antibiotics before they finally found an experimental drug that would kill the stupid thing. If it gets into your kidneys you'll end up peeing puss. NOT something to fool around with and play Home Remedy.. you can end up with kidney failure. Serious complication. Really, really serious. Land yourself in the hospital with IV's serious.

Once you've had one UTI it is easier to get the next one, and the next one... and the bacteria get more and more resistant to treatment. Prevention is your best chance.

Drink fluids... herbal tea will get fluid in without the sugar of juice. NEVER hold it for any period of time. If you have to pee, excuse yourself and go pee. This isn't grammer school, get over the embarassment and go pee. Holding urine is the number one cause of bladder infections in young women and girls, so while you're teaching yourself to heed the call of your bladder, teach your girls to as well.

And if you notice it is getting painful to urinate, drink fluids but get a culture. If you've drunk a lot of fluids, tell them the bacteria count is going to be seriously deluted so they know this in advance (because otherwise they'll discount the results as within normal range and you'll end up with a whopper of an infection because by the time the bacteria count is up in diluted urine you are one sick puppy... been there done that). Get help as soon as you can, don't allow the bacteria to get established with the thought that it "isn't that bad."

It isn't... at first. It is the repeated infections which get progressively more and more aggressive which do the damage.

15. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Cipro is a good heavy duty antibiotic, used for lots of things, not just Anthrax. :) Hubby has had kidney failure, dialysis, transplant, and Cipro was the choice of meds for him until he got allergic to it.

My advice:
    no caffeine...which means, no tea unless herbal, no coffee, no brown soft drinks.
    cranberry pills...the juice has LOTS of sugar which feeds the nasty germs.
    yogurt...internally and externally to the moist panty area.
    Pee immediately after being intimate with your partner. That activity introduces bacteria into the urethra, and you need to flush it out.

If you doc will agree, keep a week's worth of antibiotics on hand to start when you know an infection is coming on ...they usually start on weekends! :rolleyes:

16. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

That was good advice from Rose.

I had these for five years straight - one a month which would cause a yeast infect. from the antibiotics and then after five years, my old GYN told me that sometimes, the pill causes these in sensitive women. My problems have not been as bad since - but i've still had more than average until a few years ago.

I've tried it all - anything you need to know i've dealt with.

After years of seeing a urologist who doesn't just give meds, but wants to figure the underlying cause here is some more suggestions:

Everything Rose said except i would add, all sodas

Cranberry tablet before bed - your body goes a long time without peeing and this is when bacteria and go to town. You would have to drink a gallon of juice to get the same effect as tablets.

Keep Uristat on hand - it's over the counter and it will take the burning away until you can start meds - it will also not ruin a urine culture if you need to leave one at a lab (it will make your pee look orange). I also keep a lab urine collector at home (it's sterile) so if i need to bring a sample it's quicker.

I find that the following foods bother me and give me symptoms(in addition to Rose's): msg, mayonaise, terriyaki sauce, sulfates in red wine.

If you would like more detailed info if they are recurring, you can pm me.

Been there,

brural

17. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

cranberry juice is great ...BUT.... not the kind you buy at the grocery store. Its got too much sugar. You need unsweetened cranberry juice. Or just get cranberry capsules. Cut out all sugar from your diet and drink LOTS of water.

18. Terri

They did a study on cranberry juice, did you know? The result of the study was that it DOES help.

For this reason, I take a cranberry tablet at bedtime. I have been ill this summer, my immune system may be weak, and I do NOT like UTI's!

19. kjerckie

kjerckie Well-Known Member

Been fighting UTI for years! I can be assured to get one after soft drinks, wine, wine coolers and sex. Only two cups coffee now in morning. Quit the sodas and wine...... next is sex :waa: The pain is not worth the pleasure :no: I take three cranberry fruit concentrate gels at night before bed. Been on every antibiotic known during the episodes. I also work in an enviroment that potty breaks are not always the option when needed :eek: But life goes on. Thanks for this post and I'm taking your suggestions and ideas with me! Gosh, give up coffee completely??? That's harder than quiting sex! (ha)

20. Terri

If nothing else works, women are often put on a low level of antibiotics as a preventative.