Uterine infection

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rob30, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a doe that won't concieve. She had triplets last year. This year she has been bred by both of my bucks, several times. She has some light brownish, fluid coming out of her now. She has been like this for a week now. At first I thought she was just in heat, but shes not. I think she might have an uterine infection.
    Should I start a round of penicillin?
    Any suggestions?

2. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

if it was my doe I would.........to be on the safe side. You need to give pen for 5 days to be effective so the sooner you start the better.

3. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

I have a doe doing the same thing. She last kidded in 2003! I have used penG on her for 5 days and the discharge is gone but when she was bred this time she bled some. I have now taken her out of the buck pen to give her a rest and see if she settles. If she doesnt I am going to try a uterine flush per the vets advise. I a personally wondering if my doe is having early miscarrages as the brown discharge only starts about a week after being bred and then is gone till she is bred again.

4. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Have you taken her temp? If she has a infection she will run a fever.

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

if she aborts early you will see a wet tail if you are lucky. no blood at all

6. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I had a doe that ws bleeding a little but enough for me to notice. everytime she sneezed and coughted she would squirt some out. No fever, acted fine, just some blood that looked a little watered down. She did about, becasue I had to pull the baby out, it was half out but she had no idea what was going on. So there can be blood with the abortion. I believe it realy depends on how far along she is. If I have to use Lute and I use it 7-10 days after the buck gets in, I NEVER see blood, but after 15 days I will.

7. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I had a doe die from a uterine infection with not one day of fever.

We have a good thread on this subject over at dairygoatinfo.com also in the goatkeeping 101 section, also Sue Reith's article on treating does who do not settle. CIDR's, hormones, flushing for infection...not as complicated as it sounds. Vicki

8. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

Yes I read all this but where can you get the CIDR's? I can't find them. The vet did mention that we could try hormones on her if she wont settle. This is a doe I would like to see some kids out of.