using wild onions as "chives"

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mamagoose, May 5, 2006.

1. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

Does anyone do this? I have lots and could be harvesting them to dry now. I sure think they would retain some flavor as pungent as those little bulbs are. Does anyone dry the bulbs and if so, what process?

(I have just prepared for my lunch to take to work a homegrown leaf lettuce salad with fresh radishes and wild onions and fresh steamed eggs sliced on top!)

2. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know, I haven't tried that, but I use my wild onions as much as possible. Last week I made a wilted green salad with dandelion leaves, an egg and wild onions. I wrote how to make it on the tightwad tips thread for April. It was so delicious!

3. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

wild onions grow here en masse and I use them just like chives, they just about look the same and nobody so far could tell the difference. I like to put them in mashed potaotes. But I have never tried freezing or drying them. give it a try and tell us all about it.

4. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Pretty great to be out of onions, and go grab a wild one or two from the field isn't it ?

I don't know of anyway to preserve those. But if you mark the spot they are growing in you can dig up the bulbs and use year round.

5. mamagoose

I hadn't thought of marking the spots and digging later, good idea, thanks!

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Knew a couple who moved down to southern Indiana to retire on a 30 acre patch. They had a jersey cow, and a nice flock of laying hens. We went down in April, and the only thing that was up were millions of wild onions. The cow and chickens loved them. Couldn't eat the eggs or drink the milk. Couldn't even stand the butter.

7. mamagoose

Too bad wild onions don't bring what wild mushrooms do!

8. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

do you mean hundreds of people raking the forest bare in search of the elusive morel?

9. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

I use wild onions as chives; they are closely related to chives and just as good. They make good "Ozark omelets" or "Missouri omelets" (egg with wild onions and salt and pepper, lightly scrambled but allowed to remain a semi-omelet). Unfortunately, though, they are only around from February to April and a little in late fall.
    When we moved locally to our new place, I brought some wild onion bulbs and planted them here. There wasn't much wild onion growing here before.

10. mamagoose

Well, I'm back from vacation and my DS watered my hotbed, so everything is as I left it. I'm ready to try drying the wild onions for chives. PS I never find any of the wild mushrooms, the turkeys must get them first.