Using water under creek bed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by outofmire, Jun 26, 2004.

1. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

The creek bed has been pretty much dry since May here, but yesterday I noticed that there's still a pool of clean water so I started digging. There's water running under the creek bed. My question is this: is that water just what's left of the creek or could it be a spring? It's about 6" down from what I can tell and pretty cool. I'm figuring that it's just the creek flowing underground.

How can I utilize this water for washing laundry?

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Suggestion is to use a posthole digger and dig out a hole large enough for a plastic barrel with the screw-on type lid. Punch holes in the side the barrel and backfill around it with gravel. Barrel should fill up and you can dip out the water you need. Then put on the cap so it barrel doesn't fill up with silt when the creek flows again. You may have to drop a large rock in the bottom of the barrel to keep it in place.

Ken Scharabok

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

That's great! I hope it works out for you. If you have electric, you could drop a submersible sump pump in that barrel and run a hose up to the house.

4. outofmire

Thanks Ken....that sounds like a good idea.

Don't have electric. But yes this is great news to me. You probably remember me asking questions about conserving water when washing clothes on another thread. Well, I appreciated all the responses and started walking around on my property looking for sources of water. Still trying to see if the output is going to be enough and whether it'll dry up.

Still wondering if this is a spring. If so, should I dig till I get to the source? Right now all the water I'm finding is flowing laterally....parallel to the creek bed but 6" or deeper. I was digging this further uphill to find the source, but now I'm wonding if it'd be worth it.

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It could be a spring. But if you have water flowing and it is convenient I would just develop it as a spring right there. What a find! I'm excited for you!

6. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I would also dig a test hole up-hill as far as possible. it's allways nice to have gravity to do the work. How many feet higher can you check? 5'--15'--25'??

mikell

7. outofmire

Well, there's only about 15-20 feet uphill from the creek before I hit the property line. What should I be looking for with these test holes?

8. Seems that you are essentially talking about a hand dug well of some sort, depending on what your ultimate objectives is, and the best time to do this is when the water is at its lowest.

So what is your objective here, just a simple low volume water source or something bigger like drinking water, or perhaps a whole homestead water supply, and then people will be better able to submit suggestion to you.

9. outofmire

Not potable purposes....I was hoping for hand laundry and maybe watering animals at this point.

10. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Dig a hole and put a stick in to measure how fast it rises then just watch it every day. Take a few 5 gallon bucket fulls out and see how long it takes to refill. Let us know the results

mikell