Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, when ordering from my local friendly coop :) , I accidentally ordered a pound of ground stevia leaf. Long story --- suffice it to say, it was very late at night when i did up my order. And unfortunately, the coop doesn't take returns.

In any case, the ground stevia leaf is essentially useless for me. It takes forever for it to dissolve in liquids and I just don't have time to sit around trying to get it to dissolve.

So I want to see if I can make my own stevia extract out of it. But have NO idea where to even begin.

:confused: Can anyone help? What do I do to make ground stevia leaf into stevia extract??

·
Registered
695 Posts
countrygrrrl said:
A while back, when ordering from my local friendly coop :) , I accidentally ordered a pound of ground stevia leaf. Long story --- suffice it to say, it was very late at night when i did up my order. And unfortunately, the coop doesn't take returns.

In any case, the ground stevia leaf is essentially useless for me. It takes forever for it to dissolve in liquids and I just don't have time to sit around trying to get it to dissolve.

So I want to see if I can make my own stevia extract out of it. But have NO idea where to even begin.

:confused: Can anyone help? What do I do to make ground stevia leaf into stevia extract??
I use it fresh in summer.
dried, just steep some dried leaves in hot water on the stove, strain into small jar and refridgerate. For more details ask Daryll in NW Fla on the barter board, he's quite knowlegable on the plant.
http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=53752

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that all? Really?? You mean, I don't have to use grain alcohol and glycerin and various additives and whatnot?

:cool:

Cool! :D

·
Registered
695 Posts
countrygrrrl said:
Is that all? Really?? You mean, I don't have to use grain alcohol and glycerin and various additives and whatnot?

:cool:

Cool! :D
That type of extracting is a hassle for stevia.
Steeping the herb like a tea or I even grind the dried leaf into powder and sprinkle it on things.
Steep in small amounts like a pint or 1/2 pint it will keep in fridge for several days.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'm going to vodka route. I found this recipe and it sounds about right to me. The stuff I have is powdered and I HAVE to do something with it --- I have sprinkled it on some foods, but mostly want it for my tea and coffee --- and it just won't dissolve!

So here's the recipe I found. About as simple as the water method, but requires lots of time to sit --- however, it will also last longer unrefrigerated, which is something else I want.

I'll report back on the results in six weeks. !

From here!

Start with a clean jar that has a tight fitting lid and the herbs of your choice. If you can use fresh herbs, then fabulous! Fresh material is always preferred but availability is determined by your local bio-region, climate, etc and many quality herbs may not be available. If you cannot locate fresh materials, be sure to get good quality, organic herbs from a reputable supplier. Note: Try not to use powdered herbs; they will be difficult to filter out in the end and the debris will settle in your final product.

If using fresh material, chop the herbs finely. Then put in the glass jar. Next, pour a good, strong grain alcohol or Vodka over the herbs, completely covering the herbal material. If you are using dried herbs you will need to add more alcohol over the next day or two as the dried herbs absorb and expand. A good ratio for dried material is about 1 part herb to 5 parts alcohol and with fresh material 1 part herb to 3 parts alcohol.

After you have done this, cover with tight fitting lid and be sure to place a plastic bag sandwiched between the lid and the jar. This will prevent rust contamination from spoiling your extract.

Shake well and place the jar in a dark place & allow the herbs to soak or macerate for 4 to 6 weeks. Shake every few days. The alcohol will siphon and extract the active constituents from the herbs. After 4 to 6 weeks strain the herbs. Use a large sieve, strainer, press or potato ricer lined with fine mesh cloth or cheesecloth. Then pour into another large bowl or container. After you have done this grab the soggy herbal material and place in muslin, cheese or another fine cloth and tightly squeeze the material to extract every last drop from the cloth. The herbal material left over that is saturated, is the strongest in terms of active medicinal constituents.

Now funnel the material from your larger container into smaller bottles, preferably amber bottles and store your tinctures in a cool dark place. Voila! You have now made your own remarkable medicinal herbal extract for a fraction of the price you would have paid at the store. By now you have probably noticed that your pantry is stored with some 16-20 ounces of liquid herbal extract - this will last you for some time. (It will keep for 3-5 years) Enjoy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts