Using stevia leaf to make liquid extract

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Aug 12, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

A while back, when ordering from my local friendly coop :) , I accidentally ordered a pound of ground stevia leaf. Long story --- suffice it to say, it was very late at night when i did up my order. And unfortunately, the coop doesn't take returns.

In any case, the ground stevia leaf is essentially useless for me. It takes forever for it to dissolve in liquids and I just don't have time to sit around trying to get it to dissolve.

So I want to see if I can make my own stevia extract out of it. But have NO idea where to even begin.

:confused: Can anyone help? What do I do to make ground stevia leaf into stevia extract??

2. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

I use it fresh in summer.
    dried, just steep some dried leaves in hot water on the stove, strain into small jar and refridgerate. For more details ask Daryll in NW Fla on the barter board, he's quite knowlegable on the plant.
    http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=53752

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Is that all? Really?? You mean, I don't have to use grain alcohol and glycerin and various additives and whatnot?

:cool:

Cool! :D

4. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

That type of extracting is a hassle for stevia.
    Steeping the herb like a tea or I even grind the dried leaf into powder and sprinkle it on things.
    Steep in small amounts like a pint or 1/2 pint it will keep in fridge for several days.

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Well, I'm going to vodka route. I found this recipe and it sounds about right to me. The stuff I have is powdered and I HAVE to do something with it --- I have sprinkled it on some foods, but mostly want it for my tea and coffee --- and it just won't dissolve!

So here's the recipe I found. About as simple as the water method, but requires lots of time to sit --- however, it will also last longer unrefrigerated, which is something else I want.

I'll report back on the results in six weeks. !

From here!

6. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Sweetened vodka in my iced tea would probably do wonderful things for me. Sounds like a good idea to me.

7. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:haha: