Using Rosemary bushes as garden edging?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Montana Mom, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Montana Mom

Montana Mom Well-Known Member

Hi all.

I've read that Rosemary will grow from 3-6 ft tall and I was wondering if anyone had ever used it to edge (aka hide) their garden from the neighbors?

Good idea or no?

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Hi MontanaMom
    Do rosemary bushes grow in your area? I think they are zone 6 and above?
    We have one we bring in in the winter and it IS a gorgeous, great smelling shrub.
    If you can grow it, go for it!!!

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Rosemary is one of those plants I have never been able to grow. :rolleyes:

I tend to keep my soil very acid (the coffee and tea goes right outside :) ), which my other plants love --- but apparently, rosemary hates it!

And the last time I bolloxed the rosemary, it was pointed out to me that it's a Mediterranean plant and likes things on the dry side.

In any case, I lived in Colorado for a while --- a bit south of Montana --- but more similar to where you are than where I am now. And there were people in Colorado who grew rosemary very successfully, in part because of the very dry conditions, I suspect. So growing it in Montana wouldn't be entirely out of the question, depending on where you are - ?

Hope my mistakes help you. If the rosemary fails, try domestic sage --- not as pretty as rosemary, but wonderfully fragrant and impossible to kill! :D

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I think it prob isn't hardy enough for your area. How about some currents or gooseberries?

5. Judiff

Judiff Active Member

Hi, I live in the UK, so I probably don't appreciate what a Montana winter is like, but I do know that rosemary is a lot more hardy than it is given credit for.
    It is a Mediterranean plant, but it is pretty tough (particularly the older varieties). What it really hates, though, is having waterlogged roots which then freeze - that will certainly kill it. If you can give it good drainage, perhaps in a raised bed, it might survive.
    It may be worth experimenting with a single plant, because it does make a fantastic hedge!

Judith

6. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

It's rare that rosemary will reach 6ft, especially in a coolish climate. I would say half that height would be a maximum in such places. Mine gets much taller, but I'm in a very hot climate, with never even the thought of a frost. I think, therefore, it would not really be suitable as a screening plant in your area, but be more of a low hedge, providing privacy only from children or dwarfs.

7. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

I have 2 huge bush cherries--not Hansen's but the other one--red fruit. They're deciduous but they hide my garden from the main road all season plus they bloom then make something for jam. Have oodles of seedlings...maybe I should put them on the barter board?

katy

8. tara313134

tara313134 Member

Not sure it would grow in your area, but I have around a 50ft long hedge of rosemary next to my raised beds that does a pretty good job of being a screen and wind break. Unfortunately, because of its great cover, it also is a great attractant for pests such as mice and voles.

9. The hardiest rosemary that I know of is "Arp" and it is only hardy to about 15 maybe 10 degrees F.

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I live in NW MS and we bought several rosemary bushes to plant around the foundation of our new house. Well, three months later one is thriving and the rest are dead. Too much rain. We don't plan to replace the dead ones with more rosemary.