Using pressure treated timbers for raised bed?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by AshleyB, May 19, 2006.

1. AshleyB

AshleyB Well-Known Member

How bad is it really to use pressure treated timbers to build a raised bed? My husband worked very hard last night to install one for me, and he got all of the dirt and amendments in it and everything, and then we realized that the timbers used had been treated. We wanted an organic chemical free garden this year. I must add, the timbers have been out in the elements for a little over a year now, if that matters. Should we pull up the timbers and use something else, or just not worry too much about it?
    Thanks!

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

If it's ACQ treated wood, you should be fine. (CCA has a lot of arsenic in it, and that's been linked to bladder and other cancers.)

http://www.ufpi.com/product/ptlumber/ptfaq.htm

Pony!

edited to add: Studies indicate that there are no higher levels of carcinogens in vegetables grown in beds built with CCA than occur naturally. See above link.

3. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Organic certification wouldn't allow the use of treated wood for beds or garden stakes, as far as I recall from an orcharding session I attended recently.

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

we used pressure treated wood for raised beds but did put thick black plastic foil as a barrier before we filled in the soil. i would never do it again though.

5. northstarpermie

northstarpermie Well-Known Member

I would take them out.

Wanted to add they say all the food in the supermarket has been tested & is safe to eat as well.