Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does kerosene last and still be usable? Does it go bad like gas or can you still use 5 year old kerosene in a kerosene heater?

Dh has been dejunking the basement and uncovered several cans of kerosene and our heater. I know the wick needs to be changed and the heater cleaned.

TIA

·
Registered
415 Posts
I don't know about kerosene or your heater. I've burned old fuel oil that smells off in my waste oil heater in the shop.
Since you mentioned a wick...I'd try it in area where if it gave really foul odors it wouldn't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
33,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OJ Rallye, that's what I was thinking. Set and light the heater outside to see if it smells first. It's your standard kerosene heater, the round kind with the outer cage and has a wick.

Bearfootfarm, thanks. I'll have to do that. Sniff and look.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes old kerosene can definitely be used. But it will probably need to be treated. Don't worry, it is easy. Get some fuel stabilizer made for diesel fuel and just put it in and wait 24 hours. It will make it work like new even if the color looks off. I use PRI-D but I think Stabil make a diesel additive also. You can get it online or at some auto parts places and big box stores.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hi TIA
Old kerosene may have absorbed water over time. I have a Corona kerosene heater that stopped working after a while because of absorbed water. After draining the tank and replacing the wick, I filtered the kerosene through a layer of paper towels. Celluose fibers are quite good at absorbing water, so when you filter the kerosene through the towels the water gets removed. It will also remove any rust if it happens to be a metal storage can. So, go ahead and use the kerosene, but make sure it gets filtered first.
Michael

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.