Using marine battery in car?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paramount, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Paramount

Paramount Well-Known Member

First of all, I know next to nothing about car batteries... However my battery in my dodge shadow had died and won't hold a charge now. I didn't drive it over the winter and of course, forgot to start it every once in awhile. Most of the time the doors were frozen shut and that's my excuse and I 'm sticking to it....
    We have a marine battery here that we use once in a long while for the boat we have. DH keeps it charged every month and I was wondering if I could use it in my car. Anyone know of reasons I couldn't? Looks like the same size to me.
    Thanks....

2. centexguy

centexguy Well-Known Member

should work fine if its 12volt even if its a deep cycle I dont think it would matter. you might have to change the terminals to match or they may be the same kind.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Marine batteries are deep cycle batteries, meaning that they do need to go well below standard charge often, same as golf cart batteries. They are deep cycle batteries, they will work well if they are allowed to discharge fully on occasions. That means drive home and leave the lights on until they are down to no energy before you recharge them. Golf cart batteries are drawn down fully daily, charged nightly; meaning that they are designed to offer full service daily; not like auto batteries that maintain close to full charge constantly. Use it up, drain it often or change to standard auto batteries.

4. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

It would probably work okay, might not work well in cold temps, and it wouldn't be ideal for the life of the battery. I would suggest getting a good replacement auto battery, get one with a 3 year warranty, they're built better.

5. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

A marine deep cycle may NOT work. Cold cranking amps (CCA) is what is need to start your car (a lot of juice for a short time). Deep cycle batteries general don't have as high of a CCA rating and my not be able to with stand the large draws need to start an engine.

Fire-Man likes this.
  6. centexguy

centexguy Well-Known Member

not all "marine batteries" are deep cycle some are only made for cranking the engine, I have one.

7. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Will work fine -- i use them in all my cars because I drive a semi, and never know how long I might be before I start one -- will last a lot longer then a normal car battery thats for sure!

8. john698

john698 New Member

Hii all
    I am john. well, I am late replying. but hope this will helpful. Marine batteries are useful batteries. I have 35AH Marine RV battery.this is very good for me. I purchased it after my old car battery overdrawn a few months back. Initially I was doubtful about it; however, after using I found it to be really good. and it provides me full power supply. i found reviews from these online sources and really it helps me a lot to find perfect one. here are the links where i found info about batteries.
    http://www.deepcyclebatteriesforsale.com/
    http://www.ebay.com/bhp/deep-cycle-battery
    http://www.wholesalesolar.com/solar
    Thanks,john

9. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

This thread is 11 years old.
    I've found many Marine batteries often won't fit in battery trays, or allow hoods to close, and they really aren't ideal for cars.

10. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

Yes it's a old thread and I was wondering if the OP destroyed his battery with moopups advice.

For those of you with lead acid deep cycle batteries
    DO NOT draw them down any farther than you have to before recharging them.
    The deeper they cycle the shorter they last.

arnie likes this.
  11. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

Moopups died ***MANY*** years ago.

Mon

12. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

Sad his posts are interesting.

13. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

True but some post is 11 years old the person may no longer be on here.

14. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Personally I have no problems with members resurrecting old posts. You never know when someone is currently having the same problem or question.

SmokyShadow likes this.
  15. BlackFeather

BlackFeather Well-Known Member

It works great in my diesel tractor. Every 3 or 4 years I'd have to replace the battery, (probably because it wasn't used enough) then I was given a marine battery, that was 8 years ago and it is still going.

16. JoePa

JoePa Well-Known Member

As already stated there are so-called marine batteries that are deep cycle and others that are not - on my boat I have a deep cycle for the trolling motor and a regular starting battery for the outboard - each have a different purpose - the deep cycle gives me extended use with lower power draw while the starting battery gives me more power to start the outboard for short duration - both are marine batteries -

The life of any battery will depend to what level it is discharged and left that way - someone mentioned that you have to completely discharge a deep cycle battery occasionally - that is not the case with a lead acid battery - in fact that will harm it -

On occasion I have used a deep cycle battery to start my truck but it was in an emergency -