Using Lutylase to Bring Doe into Heat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MarkSykes, Feb 13, 2005.

1. MarkSykes

MarkSykes Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: I am brand new to goat breeding. Do not assume I know either what I'm talking about or what you mean if you don't explain your answer. Thanks!

I have a CAE positive doe whom I would like to have bred. I have finally found a breeder with a registered buck about to go into brush goat service and is willing to allow him to service the doe.

She apparently had her last heat three weeks ago before I had all this arranged. Can I use two injections of lutylase, ten or eleven days apart, to induce heat in a freshly out-of-season doe?

Should she then be with the buck on the day after the final shot?

Also, when is the best time for a doe to be with a buck - on the first day of a heat when she has a clear discharge, or on the second day when the discharge is cloudy?

I am planning on taping teats, separating the kid(s) at birth and feeding them with colostrum/milk replacers, to contain the CAE.

Thanks,

2. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

If she was in heat 3 weeks ago you really don't need anything to bring her around as goats cycle every 18 to 21 days depending on the goat. Personally, I would just put them together and watch to see if she is receptive to his advances and you'll know! If she's not then you can either keep them together for a few days or you can seperate them and try again in a few days she'll come around with him being there. Check out FiasCo Farm web site, you will find out lots of info pertaining to goats and how to manage them. Good Luck!

Jeannine

3. MarkSykes

Thanks, Eggladyj. FiascoFarms has lots of information but unfortunately nothing on luting a goat that I was abole to find. And, as my luck would have it, this buck is a 90-minute drive away and the breeder doesn't currently have a place to put up my doe, so I have to wait to see standing heat and take her over then.

Thanks,

4. boren

boren Well-Known Member

I used Lutalyse to sync my does this year, it worked well. It will not bring a doe into heat if she isn't cycling on her own though, and this time of year it's getting pretty late...

Anyways, here's an achived old dairy goats url:

http://www.cban.com/~asj/f/viewtopic.php-t=1538.html

Vicki has the best description.

5. MarkSykes

boren,

Thanks - twice - the thread you posted has some very good information. I'll ask my vet to let me purchase some Lutylase from him.

Thanks,