using lute

Discussion in 'Goats' started by logdog365, Dec 16, 2006.

1. logdog365

logdog365 Active Member

i am trying to get my nubian 11 mon doe bred and someone told me to use lute ( spelling) to bring her in does anyone use it or is there anything i need to know before i do

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

That you aren't getting the right info from the person.

Yes Lutelyse 2cc IM on any kind of goat will bring them into heat in 36 hours...heat does not equal an egg ovulated for the semen to impregnant. Unless you time her heat cycle, giving a shot of lute during her cycle will not get her pregnant because an egg is ripened yet.

You can give her a 2cc shot, wait 14 days and give her another one and then breed her on the heat after the second shot. It works occasionally.

Have you seen her in heat? Do you have a buck so you can just put her in with him and let him breed her when she comes in? Pen breeding of course is the best way to handle this. Vicki

3. logdog365

logdog365 Active Member

no we do not have a buck handy we have to haul her 30 miles to him they do not keep does there overnight or what ever they just hand breed and send her on her way of course they offer a rebreed if she comes in again i don't know when she came in last and everything looks the same i just know what the people say to look for and really i can't tell if its different or not we brought a cloth with the bucks scent all over it and she loved it but i don;t guess that was "heat" she is with a wether here . i don't have my glasses on so forgive the typing hate to sound so simple but its all greek to me whats the window in a heat cycle to get her bred how do u tell if she drpped an egg

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

I never have my glasses when I need them :) Even though I keep a pair in my purse, out in the barn and in my truck! If I wasn't soo vain, I should wear them on an old lady chain around my neck!

She will come into heat every 21 days from about July/August (the further north you are the further into summer that date is) every month until at least Feb (perhaps March if she has kidded before, or further north). She ripens and egg 7 to 11 days from the 1st day of her cycle. But if you can't tell if she is in heat, no way to help you with timing the lutelyse.

Give her the 2cc in a good muscle shot. 14 days later exactly! Give her 2cc more, she will be in heat and hopefully ovulating in 36 hours. You can also get 1cc of cysterellon from your vet which will force ovulation, give this to her the morning of the 36th hour, the day you likely will be taking her to visit the buck....being that close to the buck, go there the morning of 36 hours and then do a follow up breeding the next morning. If she stands she stands, if she doesn't it's only 30 miles. Call the folks and make sure they will be there and not out of town.

You are the prime example of why I tell follks all the time, buy a young buckling in the spring of this year, use him on your does in the late fall, sell him or eat him after he has bred all the does (and you know they are bred), before he starts really stinking as a 2 year old, and buy another buckling the following spring...etc... Being without a buck, especially when you are new or have breeds that don't show overt signs of heat is just almost impossible! Good luck with this! Vicki

5. logdog365

logdog365 Active Member

i am so glad to be on this site it (you all)have helped save me time and money already as well as the life of our little EEKY - hubba bubba the young pygmy billy , who as per your recommendations is alive and thriving on store bought cows milk . this breeding thing is tuff i wish i had the cash flow to go buy a good buck but that if prohibitive right now but yeh you are nodoubt right it sure would be the better way to do it . i will give this unatural way of doing things , one chance then i am waiting to find a good buck thanks again i wish i were your neighbor vickie i would be getting a buckling from you . as for the glasses i buy mine from the dollar store here in town because i can not keep them and if iwore the chain i am afraid i would still manage to loose them . thank u

6. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

i will give this unatural way of doing things

The hormones you will be giving are natural ones found in her body. We are just trying to synchronize all of this for your benefit :) Yep, you would have one of my bucks if you were a neighbor :) I just hate it when folks go month after month traveling with does who are not in heat! Worse is when, after all this work the doe remains dry anyway! It just isn't this hard! It's how the $50 soaking wet buckling sale started in the mid 90's, and it's why I continue with it every year. I actually at times have tried to talk myself out of it, it is alot of work, but I love the folks I meet! Alot more than the hard core breeders sometimes! Vicki