Using Hog panels as porch rails

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Elizabeth, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

Has anyone here ever used hog panels to make porch/deck rails? DH and I need to replace the rails on my porch and we are thinking of trying this- saw some pictures recently of houses which I thought looked pretty good.

Question-
    The porch has 6"x6" posts and we thought that we would use 2"x4"'s for the top rail and then cut some actual dimension 1 1/2"x2" pieces to frame the panels between just below the 2x4's. Our question is this-

How much of a concern is rot on the bottom rail if we use this method? The rail will be under the covered porch but rain does occasionally blow up onto the porch and could soak the rail. Wondering if we should take the time to putty any gaps around the hog panel before painting, but don't want to spend the time doing so unless it will make an appreciable difference.

2. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

Don't see why it won't work.......we are still waiting to put in a wood railing and have used the hog fencing for years now.....we just used twine to tie it to the wood....realize yours will be more permanent.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Elizabeth,
    Sandwich the panel between 2 ea 2x4's at the top and again at the bottom. On the top put a 3rd board across the 2x4's as a cap. This should make a decent appearing rail and at the bottom the rain can run on thru and the lower 2x4's should dry rapidly following a rain. I would use treated 2x4's.

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Although they are suspose to have been dipped in a primer, I've seen them rusting at the supply outlet. Before you put them up, take the time to put on at least two coats of a good primer, doing the joints four time. That is, do the joints and then the entire panel. Use two different colors of primer. That way you can be sure you get everything twice. Then do a final coat of a very high grade enamel primer. A bit costly and a job, but it may save you having having to do touch up painting for some years.

I like the sandwiched 2"x4" concept, but be sure to support the bottom rail to prevent sagging.

Ken Scharabok

5. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Very good idea. I've seen them used several times on tv for railings. Each of them on modern-styled homes. One had them used with wood trim and the other just had them welded to the metal deck posts. The second one used them on a curved deck and the owner talked about how you can't easily bend wood.