Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I wash the dishes I use those green scrubbie pads. I like them because they will definitely get off all the yucky stuff (like dried on eggs), but they are a little rough on some items.

Dh hates it when I use them because they do scratch softer plastic (like storage containers). But I just don't feel like dishes are clean using a dish rag. I have always used green scrubbies and I will continue to use them!

Now fess up! Who uses green scrubbies and who uses JUST dish rags. Surely, I can't be the only one! And those of you who do - do you really even CARE that it scratches up the storage containers????

Just wondering where I stand in the great universe of controversy surrounding green scrubbies.

donsgal

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,468 Posts
One of the 'side effects' of living with folks who are on immune suppressing drugs is that you learn about germs. Sponges and dish rags are germ breeding grounds. Throw them out and get a dish brush.

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
I grew up in a green scrubbie household. Mom didn't care about scatches. In my household I use the sponge with the scrubbie on the other side. I've heard the whole germ thing a million times but I haven't found anything I like to use better. With a sponge/scrubbie you get the good scrubbing action plus the sponge holds the water and soap so you get lots of bubbles. I don't like dishrags either.

Heather

·
fiber crone
328 Posts
donsgal, don't you knit or crochet one. Just cut some nylon netting into strips and crochet or knit to the size you want. Gives you the rough without the scratch. I just throw them in the wash, but I do hang my clothes out, so can answer to how they do in the dryer.

·
This is my life
3,923 Posts
I use sponges and rags, having a husband that went through a microbiology class I was made very aware of how germs grow. To keep the fussing to a dull roar I always toss my sponges into the dishwasher every evening and change out my dishrag with each kitchen cleaning (2-3 times a day), I have a scubby side to my sponge and use SOS pads for the really tuff stuff

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
It all depends on what I'm washing....I have a dedicated pot scrubber for my milking bucket and I also use it on the pots I make cheese in..it gets switched out for a new one quite routinely. I also use the green scrubby pads for normal pot and pans. Now for my milk jar lids I use a dishcloth.as I don't feel that the scrubbies get into the corners well enough and because I really don't want scratches on the lids. Most of my stuff goes through the dishwasher anyway.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
She Who Washes Dishes Get to Make All Decisions Concerning Dishwashing. - Confucius

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Use the white ones instead - they are less abrasive (by a long shot) but give you essentially the same 'cleaning power'. Anyone that has valuable china - you'll ruin it with the green ones. I actually prefer the nylon 'net' type of scrubber for the tough stuff on dishes and a sponge with a white scrubbing pad on the reverse for counters and other surfaces. I dip 'em both in bleach after use to kill the bacteria (rinse the sponge thoroughly after sanitizing or it'll fall apart LOL). I throw 'em in the dishwasher when I run it.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Okay, I'm the weird one, I like dishrags. After I am finished washing dishes I put it in a clean bowl with bleach and soap and use it again, next time I wash. After the day is done, I toss it in the laundry and get a new one.

My mom used the green scrubbers, and the only reason I don't like them, is food will stick on them and it's hard to get off.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I use dishcothes, and those green scubby things, and a brush...depending on the need and what I'm washing. I have a rack over my sink that I hang up any wet rags, a clothes pin attaches the green scrubby thing. I rinse dishes and cookware with hot water and do not leave anything to dry on unless by accident. I toss the green scubby things routinely, along with microwaving them in a bowl of water for a couple of minutes.

Husband routinely mentions kitchens natural germ building abilities...I do listen, but I'm kinda like the quote attributed to Confusius whoever does the dishes gets to decide how to clean them.

If there ever comes a time when there is a immune system problem...hopefully I'll follow my/their doctors advise.

Hugs,
Marlene

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Rose said:
One of the 'side effects' of living with folks who are on immune suppressing drugs is that you learn about germs. Sponges and dish rags are germ breeding grounds. Throw them out and get a dish brush.
I have many, many, many of those sponge scrubbies and they get washed after every dishwashing session, or at least every other one. I can't stand to use anything else.

DH promises me when I get a job (or my business picks up for real) our first major purchase will be a dishwasher. It's been a year and a half and I really miss it.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I have both a green scrubbie for tough jobs and a sponge for regular use. When I'm finished with the dishes the scrubbies and sponges get rinsed in super hot water and stored in a glass of vinegar.

·
Registered
171 Posts
No sponges here, but we do a brush, green scrubbie and dish cloth routine. We have a dishwasher, but there are things that don't fit, need extra attention or are too delicate (daggone character plates little kids love, ugh!) to run through there so whatever the particular item calls for we use. I run the scrubbies through the dishwasher every couple of days, or wash in the machine with towels and dishcloths, always with some bleach, no matter the color.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I use the green scrubbie type that is bonded to a sponge on the other side. That way it scrubs pots, or just use the sponge part for dishes or plastic. Works for me for stuff I don't put in the auto dishwasher sometimes. The scrubbies and sponges also can be cleaned and sanitized by cyling them in a diswaher load.

·
Übernerd
502 Posts
I'm partial to using a dishbrush, myself, but it depends on what I'm washing. For stuff that needs more elbow grease, I use a sponge with the green scrubby stuff on one side. I almost never use dishrags- I feel like I don't get enough scrubbing power, and the feel of a wet dishrag does sort of gross me out. So far as I know, I haven't poisoned anyone yet, so I guess I'm doing all right. I won't mind getting back to having a dishwasher when I move back to the States, though- I never realized how much time they saved until I no longer had one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.