using electric oven for kiln

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by tat, Dec 5, 2004.

1. tat

tat Active Member

I have heard that you can use a kitchen electric oven for a kiln. The lumber I need is small enough to fit into one. Does anyone know what temp and how long to do this?

Tommy

2. JustinThyme

JustinThyme Active Member

It probably depends a bit on what species of wood you're drying .Oak would take longer than Pine .Expect a big power bill using your oven ,I think it takes a lot longer than a turkey .

3. tat

tat Active Member

I will be drying willow to start off with. And then possibly some oak, what formula do you have for oak since you mentioned it.

Tommy

4. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

If you use an oven I suggest you crack or wedge the door open. Otherwise you'll just be cooking the wood, not drying it. The heated air in the oven will hold more moisture and will start out with a much lower relative humidity. Buy eventually you'll saturate that air and won't be drying anymore.

For the size of wood you're drying you could just as easily use a large cardboard box with a hole cut in once side so that heated air (from a little electric space heater with fan) can be pushed in from one side, go over and between the wood, and out the other side through another hole.

5. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are talking about just enough wood to fit in an oven, a 20 to 60 watt light bulb would put out enough heat to dry it slowly, if you had some way to insure circulation of the air. Large cardboard box with bulb in bottom and holes for air to escape in the top??

Jim

6. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

It would be FAR easier to use a solar wood kiln to dry your wood. A small greenhouse or even a cold frame would do the job.

7. Maybe try this one. I've heard of some wooden bow makers that would use a 4" pvc pipe, a porcelain light fixture, and a light bulb. On one end of the pipe drill several holes around the bottom for air vents and also install a couple of rods across inside the pipe so to keep the wood from falling all the way through the pipe. On the same end you drilled the holes install the porcelan fixture with the light bulb pointing up inside the pvc pipe. Wire the porcelan fixture up with a extension cord. Place the lumber inside the pipe and plug the cord into a 120 outlet. The light bulb will heat the air up inside and draw air through the drilled holes creating a upward flow of warm air that will wick the moisture out of the lumber and flow out the top. I hope that makes sense.