using drugs to bring on heat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by prairiecomforts, Sep 1, 2006.

1. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

Okay - I just put a deposit on two 18 month old does and want them to be bred before we bring them home. I remember hearing about a drug that can be used to bring goats into heat and am wondering if anyone here has ever used them and if so - what where the results? I really want these girls to be bred to this ladies buck, but have to get everything ready to go in a short amount of time. Any suggestions would help!

prairie

2. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

What kind of goats are they? What area do you live in? The drug you are probably speaking of is Lutalyse, BUT... it is not going to guarantee a conception if only used once. If you give a shot of 2 ccs Lutalyse IM (from vet) These does will come into heat within 36 hours. However, that does not guarantee that they will be dropping eggs. How it is normally done is the shot of Lutalyse is given, skip that heat cycle, wait 11 days, give another 2 cc shot of Lutalyse IM and then put them with the buck. Swiss breeds may not be ovulating yet. Using the drugs is something that you really can't do quickly and have a good shot at it working. Sometimes just putting the girls in the pen with the buck will bring on their heat cycle. Then again you would need to leave them there like a month from when they first come into heat. Let them have their first heat cycle in with the buck, then wait 21-26 days to see if they come in heat again. The ones that didn't catch the first time, hopefully he could cover the next heat cycle.

3. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

I have purebred nubians and live in the midwest. I will take to the breeder today and pass on out you said and maybe she has found something out by now. Thanks!

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Active Member

Some Nubians should already be cycling. If these doelings have shown a "false" heat...kinda' but not really interested in bucks (teasing but not showing a full blown heat)...then you should expect a true heat in 10-21 days.

Lute will not work if the does are not cycling.Best bet is CIDRs (if you can find someone with some) and PG 600. I put CIDRs in two Toggenburgs (usually late cycling breed) the middle of August and I have AI'ed them both this morning.True standing heats with durations of over 21 hrs. so far. Watching them today to see about when they go out.

I've tried the lute in the past and not had much luck with using it for bringing does into heat early in the season.
    Just my thoughts,
    Kaye

5. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

When I had a buck break into the doe pen w/four does in heat I used Lute (just one dose) as an abortive and it worked like a charm. All four came into heat again right away and then I think like a week later too, which was the ovulating cycle. I have no experience using it when does aren't already cycling.

6. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I would just put the does in with the buck. A young buckling snuck into my doe pen last year in late August and the following January, 2 had babies. He was just there overnite. The does had silent heats that early in the season, but were obviously triggered by a buck being present. Nubians, especially, should be ready to breed naturally by now.