using a tarp

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by sapphira, Sep 25, 2006.

1. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

IS there a way to set up a tarp very near a campfire in the rain? S

2. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

You can set the tarp just at the edge of the fire ring but be sure its good and high. Weve done it when need be, Angle your tarp down at the back and up at the front near the fire.. This way the smoke should go up and out. Just be sure to get it good and high so any embers go outward and not into your tarp. If you add sides to your tarp it makes a very nice cozy shelter if need be. Sorta like a lean too..

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

We have always used tarps around campfires, even back in the BWCAW on our canoe trips. The best way we've found to set up a tarp is after the Whelen method, or the hunters' lean-to.

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/huntersleanto/index.html

There are some photos at this web site to give you an idea. We don't cut our tarps into any shape, we just mimic the idea.

4. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

thank you !!! This is marvelous. I could not find anything myself. I have an outdoor fireplace and just can't enjoy it like I want to and this will help me set up something. I like to spend time out there cooking a meal and reading. Is a "camping" mini-vacation for me. Many thanks and so sorry it took me so long to get back to my question. S.