Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a lot of springs on our place in KY. There are a few that are underground near the house. I was wondering how you dig it out and after having the water tested how to set it up to use it for water in the house. It is not uphill from the house so gravity wouldn't do it. Any experiences or suggestions would be most welcomed!

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
we used water from a spring where I grew up and what my dad did was to dig kind of a shallow well where the spring was, about 4 or 5 feet deep, then he put a cover over it to keep any critters from getting in, left a gap on the downhill side of the cover so that when the spring overflowed it could run into the branch. set a shallow well type electric pump on the cover with its intake hose down in the spring and ran a line to the house. I think I remembr that the pump had some type of pressure tank with it to keep it working but not sure how that worked

·
Premium Member
42,802 Posts
Theres nothing as grand as a having good spring water. Once you have it tested, you will be informed of all the contamination in it. thats standard in this state. I have drank water from lots of these contaminated springs with no ill effects whatsoever. All you need is a spring basin, to catch a small pool of water, then pump it to your house with either an electric pump and pressure system or if you are less than 25 feet above the spring, (elevation, not distance) even a pitcher pump will pull the water to the house. I am not sure which part of KY you are in, but if its within a hundred miles or so of a little town called Edmonton, (check yoiur maps) I will be more than happy to come and help you set up a workable system. :) just send me a pm if yer interested.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
We get our water from a spring in the hollow across the road. There is a pipe from a tile in the spring to a cistern that has a pressure tank and a submersible pump to get the water to our house, which is up on the ridge. We also have a pressure tank in the house We had it tested when we bought our house on a VA loan and the water passed just fine. We filter our drinking water but use it unfiltered for everything else.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
I'm much like bluesky. I get my water from spring coming out from under the road. Submersible pump (laying sideways in a pool of water), pressure tank and filter inside house. Before I put the filter in the system it would clog up faucets and the washing machine.

Although the filters are sold as disposable, I've been using the same two for several years. The dirty one goes in an old, clean, sock and goes into a load of laundry.

Some folks use multiple filters, starting as say 20 mc and then the following go down from there.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks all with the advice, I appreciate it. Yvonne's hubby, I PM'd you. Thanks for your kind offer. I am very close to Edmonton!

·
Premium Member
42,802 Posts
thanks all with the advice, I appreciate it. Yvonne's hubby, I PM'd you. Thanks for your kind offer. I am very close to Edmonton!
gotcher pm, and replied. Always glad to help a fellow homesteader. I have had lotsa help from others here too, if we cant help each other out, why bother coming here, eh? :)

·
Banned
6,787 Posts
I dug out the spring area. put down a good layer of sand then built a bottomless concrete box about 4 X8 feet and 4 feet deep , put a concrete cover on that and then added another box on top for the pump. it all is in the side of a hill and has some wonderfull water in a area thats normally pretty bad..................thank God for a couple acres of timber in the middle of the cornfields!

·
Registered
762 Posts
We have a pump in a spring that furnishes us with all our water. Most important is what is up hill of the spring, any roads, pastures, septic systems, ect. We own all the land above our spring and use no chemicals, or fertilzers that would drain into the soil and then to our spring. Hey some people pay over a dollar a bottle for spring water we shower in it. Now that is up town.

G

·
Before spending any money developing the spring I would have the water tested . It might be perfectly good but you never know for sure unless you have it tested .

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
You can likely have your local County Health Department test for bacteria, etc. However, to get a trace element/metals test you will have to send a sample elsewhere. Seems like a local water quality (bacteria and such only) test runs about $160. Part of that is you cannot take a sample in, they have to send out someone to draw a sample.

About every ten days a friend comes by and fills up several 5-gallon containers from my faucets. They don't like how their well water tastes. They double filters it. Once while filliing containers and then before use.

·
Premium Member
42,802 Posts
Hey some people pay over a dollar a bottle for spring water we shower in it. Now that is up town.
Yep, I find it amusing that some folks will happily pay a buck a pint for water that comes flowing out of a hillside, but holler like stuck pigs if gasoline costs half that much. ;)

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
We have springs. One of them serves our house and farm. It is up hill of us so we get the benefits of gravity providing pressure and no need to pump. That spring is probably why our house is located where it is.

I found a piece of old cedar(?) wood piping in the peat that might be from the original settlers or so about 230 years ago. At one point the pipe was lead. The previous owner replaced that with 1/2" black plastic buried about 3" down - worked because we get so much snow we have no frost in the ground. I replaced that with two 1" black plastic pipes buried deeper - that was the project we bought our tractor for.

Around the spring is a catch basin of stone and concrete that probably was built by the previous owner. Within that the spring comes out of the ledge wall. I put a roof on it. Later I added a larger tank down below the catch basin to give us about 200 gallons of reserve. The over flow from that goes to water our livestock, flowing continuously so our waterers don't freeze in the winter. Saves hauling water.

Cheers

-Walter
Sugar Mountain Farm
in the mountains of Vermont
http://SugarMtnFarm.com/blog/
http://HollyGraphicArt.com/
http://NoNAIS.org

1 - 17 of 17 Posts