Using a pickup bed for a camper question?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by r.h. in okla., Oct 10, 2004.

1. I noticed at a nearby salvage yard a wrecked pickup with a camper on it. Been settin there quite a while now. So I've been wondering about looking into buying the whole thing and cut the front off. Build a tongue on it. Rebuild the camper if needed. Then use the outfit for camping. Just pull it to the lake/hunting camp whenever I need it. But am wondering if I would still have to buy a tag for it every year? Or, would it be considered a trailor in which here in Oklahoma you don't have to have a tag for a trailor?

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I would assume, you would title the empty bed as a trailer, and then haul the camper unit in it as you please.

it would be less work to just slide it in your truck....

or buy a tag a long camper unit.

that kinda trailer wouldnt be the most stable thing on the planet.

3. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

It was bit of a fad around here once to make trailers from truck beds so as to match the towing pick-up. They were stable enough (cant say what it would be like with the camper on one though) but having to add enough steel to fit the tow bar made them rather heavy plus the axle is usually too far back to get a good balance. I expect it would work well as a 5th wheel arrangment.

4. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

One thing I see here that looks pretty handy, people set a cabover pickup camper on a flatbed trailer. Under the overhang where the pickup cab would have been, there is room for a 4 wheeler or a dead critter. So you may want to grab that camper even if you don't want to make a trailer from the pickup.

5. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

All the metal is really un necessary to cart around if you ask me.

mikell

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

After you cut the cab off and put a tongue in it, it is a homemade trailer. Indiana now makes you have it inspected by the police and the license bureau will issue you a title for it. Then each year you are required to buy a plate for it that is priced according to how much weight you want to haul. This is stamped on the plate. 3000 gross wt is the minimum avaiable. Any plate heavier than that requires you to have trailer brakes.
    If Ok. doesn't make you buy trailer plates you are home free, but that sounds too good to be true.
    To use it for a camper you will need crank down jack stands on the rear corners and the tongue.
    If the camper is the same length as the pickup bed, there won't be enough room in it to tie your shoes.

7. Cabover camper on a flat bed trailor! Hey that maybe an even better ideal. Thanks Ed. I am thinking of rigging something up to where all I have to do is just hook on and take off whenever the urge hits me. I have been thinking about the used pickup bed and mounting a large battery box up on the front and using solar panels to charge with. I had been wondering about all the weight and such on a unbalanced trailor as mentioned. But now I can see where a flatbed trailor would work much better. Thanks everyone for your input.

8. oldudbob

oldudbob Member

9. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

when the cab is removed you cut and weld the frame thats left to make the tounge and install a cross the bed toolbox at the same tile they are a cheaper type of trailer and
    I say go for it

10. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

I just aquired a toyota pickbox trailer over the weekend cause the price was right.... all you have to be sure is to keep the rearend filled with grease, check the shocks periodically and watch the tires for wear like any other normal trailer, or pickup.... Idaho would like to stop folks from making them, cause we call them home built trailers and they didnt use to have titles, just had to buy a $45 10 year tag and forget about them for 10 years...... but Idaho went and said a person has to give the unit to the state so they can have a title to hold so they can take them away if you are a bad person.... and if you sign the registration then you have to keep insurance on it as well to the states satifaction whether you use it or not.
    But there is ac passle of them around, and mounting a camper on one is done here too, but we is kinda hillbillyish in these parts so it may get some funny looks from folks in yer nec-o-the-woods.

William