Uses for Twine?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Peanut, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Peanut

Peanut Member

Anyone have some creative ideas for using baling twine? I have about 2 wheelbarrows full and I'd like to use some of it rather that chucking it all in the garbage. I thought of weaving some into mats for in front of the door, and braiding it into ropes. I'm starting a horse boarding business so any uses that could make horse-keeping easier would be great as well.
    Thanks.

2. margo

margo Well-Known Member

How 'bout making a belt to hold yer britches up? ala Ellie Mae Clampett style? :haha: :haha:
    Okay, seriously, braid some lengths and make a loop in one end, keep in the pickup truck for when you need just a little more to add to a tie-down strap, or in place of one. Handy to tie the gas cans in the back so they don't slide around while transporting them.
    Temporary gate latches, loop over the post till you can get the latch fixed.
    Making rugs, great idea.
    When we were kids, that's what we used for reins.
    And jumpropes.

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I use twine to hang chicken feeders/waterers, heat lamps, tie up tank heaters so the horses can't pull them. I lash together panels and 2x4's to make chicken pens or anything else that needs lashing. I have used it to hog tie calves. I use it to tie small gates for my geese pens. Probably lots of other things, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Jena

4. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

I use them for everything as well.

Make cattle halters. Sell them for a few bucks each.

5. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

I'll have to check some of that stuff out. I didn't know it was good for anything but tripping a person because the guy who fed the hay didn't remove it from the bales and now it's stuck in the ground. That, and getting wound around the mower shaft.

6. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to braid ropes for the horses and the bull calves ouy of bailing twine.

7. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

I use it in the garden.
    I tie tomato vines to stakes, hang pie pans to frighten the birds, and weave long nets, between posts, for my pea vines to climb on.
    As a kid I made snares, braided whips & used it with an old shoe tongue to make 'David' slings.

8. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

A hammock?
    A spider web for Halloween? that doubles as a cargo net for your truck...

9. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I braid mine as well you can get some rings of various sizes and even do a little macrame....but it will degrade quicker than real macrame.

10. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Or Keep it as is, only wind it in a ball & soon you'll be in the Guinness World Book of Records. :haha: Seriously, it's used for everything including leashes for my dogs as we walk by "the mean lady's house". (no leash laws in the county - must be under 'voice commands', but I'm not taking chances).

11. dottedzebra

dottedzebra Member

I saw an article in Countryside ('72 or '73) about making twine into rope with a pretty simple looking jig. The idea is that you twist three (I think) lengths of twine together in one direction, and then double the twisted length in half then twist in the other direction till it looks like rope. This isn't a very good description but I'm planning on scanning that article anyway. I'll try to get a picture of the jig posted somewhere. You can add length while you're twisting the three original twines together by just adding in more twine as it's twisting, but you need to stagger the places you add them. The rope they made looked beautiful and they kept saying how easy it was, but who knows. I found some articles from a quick google search but not as good as the one I found.