Uses for Styrofoam Meat and Veggie Trays?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bluelacedredhea, Oct 23, 2005.

1. bluelacedredhea

bluelacedredhea Well-Known Member

I took my recycling and a bag of garbage to the dump today. When I got there, they had posted a sign to say "no more styrofoam " would be accepted in the recycling.
    In the 12 yrs we've lived here, I don't believe it's ever been accepted by the recycling company that picks up, but I have seen it in the bins...guess they have complained..
    Which got me to thinking..
    It's not accepted here to recycle, and it can't be burned. So what can one do with it?

Anyone use to for insulation in a rough outbuilding?

Other uses??

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I clean it and either break or cut it up into small pieces and use it as packaging cushioning.

3. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

I've cut it into long strips, about 2" wide, and marked seedling names with permanent marker.

NeHi Mama

4. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

You name your seedlings?!?!??!!

5. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Well sure. Why this year my best tomatoe, Henry VIII was great. Louis the 14th (a wonderful butternut squash) was fine, until my wife got too close with the mower--you guessed it, off with his vine. Now to name each and every individual radish would be really foolish. I take a page from George Foreman and just call all of the radish 'lil willy.

6. SpaceCadet12364

SpaceCadet12364 Well-Known Member

south central KY 75 miles SSE of Louisville
    The deeper ones might work pretty good for starting seeds in.....use plastic wrap over the top....or those saran wrap covers that have the little elastic band on the edge so you can use them on bowls.

7. Jan Sears

Jan Sears Well-Known Member

Styrofoam trays make good paint trays (for small jobs). My tole painting teacher had us use them all the time for our painting projects. Kids crafts. Reuse them by putting baked goodies on them & then wrap them for gifts.

8. mamacags

mamacags Well-Known Member

We use them for seedlings
    Use them to insulate your basement ceilings.
    drawer dividers

9. lovescanines

lovescanines Active Member

Use them under flowerpots, we also make kites and foam airplanes and boats for the kids.

Schools use them in art / craft classes for tons of things...see if they want a few. Bleach them first if they had meat on them

Some people make meatloaf ahead of time then freeze it using those styrofoam trays

10. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

They make a good form for homemade tiles. The surface is smooth and they are usually shallow. A good recipe is 2 parts portland, 1 part fly ash, and 6 parts sand. You can add in broken anything for interest.

11. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

Why not just ask for plastic, cardboard, or paper containers instead of styrofoam? Most large shopping centers will gladly oblige if they have the containers available. Or you can bring your own containers. Styrofoam takes forever to break down, and recycling it just creates more havoc than tossing it in the local dump. If you can find a use for it, great. Buy all the styrofoam you want and reuse it for other tasks... otherwise just find another container.

One thing we do with styrofoam coolers is use them over and over as molds for homemade pots/troughs for plants. I suppose they would also work good for placing over little transplants in the spring, too, if you expect cool weather.

12. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Who says? We burn them all the time, along with the rest of our non-compostable garbage. If you can't burn garbage where you live, stick them in your wood stove or fireplace. Yeah, they do smell kind of bad, but just for a little while and if you *don't* have any other use for them (drawer dividers?) then it's better to get rid of them then having them clutter up the place.

donsgal

13. Kimon

Kimon Not a Cannibal

Burning of styrofoam creates toxic smoke and residue

styrofoam is made of polystyrene. -(- CH2-CH2 - C6H5)- n
    Polystyrene foam products are now manufactured primarily using two types of blowing agents : pentane and Carbon Dioxyde. Some manufactures use other hydrocarbons. Anyway, CO2 is non-flammable. Hydrocarbons build up CO2 and water vapour on burning. Because of the insaturated bonds, some soot will be formed. If not completely oxidised, polycyclic hydrocarbons are formed what can lead to harzardous products. In low temperatures, styrene
    vapour will be produced, a toxic compound. This happens due to the de-polymerisation of styrene. You can count carbonmonoxyde in, which is obviously toxic. Furthermore, if printed, the ink pigments, which normally contain non-combustible compounds, may produce fumes. These contain metals like titanium, copper, iron, zinc, barium, silicon, calcium and phosphorus. All dangerous in their own right and should not be inhailed. If you smell the fumes you are inhailing the toxins.

14. bluelacedredhea

bluelacedredhea Well-Known Member

I'm ashamed to say that I forgot about starting this thread..But I'm thrilled to find your answers.
    TY so much..

15. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

You could pulverise the trays with a mulcher/weed whacker and use them in place of an aggrigate in concrete. I have heard tell of people using styrofoam pellets for the same purpose, resulting in a more lightweight material for pavers, lawn ornaments, etc.. The end result would be something akin to 'papercrete' only more waterproof.

16. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

I think it was stated to burn them in the wood stove. The burn temperture is not low and the fact that it gives of CO, noxious gasses, and metals really isn't a problem in a stove due the fact that wood give off the same things.

That said, Produce your meat at home and avoid the whole issue. You say I can't have farm animals were I live.... So buy it on the hoof and have it processed or process it your self. We have just about rid ourselves of meat with a Maxi (The little pad under the meat at the store).