Homesteading Forum banner

Uses for rough cut 2x4, 2x6 and 2x8s

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  mreynolds 
#1 ·
We are currently tearing down a 100 year old farmhouse. We are hoping to use some of the materials in our future house (beadboard walls, etc.) But I'm not sure what I can use the rough cut wall studs, ceiling and floor joist for in the house. Has anyone used these for flooring or something like that? I figure since they aren't very uniform in length them wouldn't be able to be easily reused as studs, etc. And there is some termite/water damage so I don't necessarily want to use them in a structural capacity. Thoughts?

#2 ·
Save all you can reasonably store, I use old boards like that to build things all the time. Doesn’t half to be used in your house, could one day be a outbuilding or chicken house ect. You could also possibly sell those board on Craigslist/Facebook plenty of craft people looking for old boards like that.

#6 ·
I built my house out of old wood. The wood is now 155 years old because the original building was built in 1865. It should be fine but I will offer one word of advice. If it is pine it is probably rich lighter pine after 100 years or so. It wont rot but it will burn real good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.