Uses for plastic 55 gal barrels

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by holleegee, Aug 4, 2006.

1. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

What do you use them for other than:
    collecting rain water
    trash cans
    storing bags of feed/grain

I just found a place where I can get food grade barrels for $10.

What else have you used them for?

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i use them for pig waterer put pig nipple in them

3. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

trough feeders for cattle and goats any other big animal.
    Umm by any chance you by wisconsin?

4. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

"collecting rain water
    trash cans
    storing bags of feed/grain"

Isnt that enough ? ;-)
    Never have too many !
    You need at least enough to hold as much feed as you can
    carry in your truck, so you can make less trips to the feedstore.
    Or if they deliver it, you can get it in bulk for cheaper.

Even blue barrels get hot in the sun, you could make an outdoor shower.
    I have heard you can raise catfish in them

Never turn down a good barrel, espically a free one !

Plastic ones arent good for fuels, but metal ones are good for storage.
    Espically diesel and kerosene, or waste oil.
    Metal ones are good for burning stuff.

You may be able to make some sort of pontoon boat out of plastic ones.
    Or a dock for you pond , or some such. Each barrel should float 440 lbs.

5. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

I use mine for horse jumps :rolleyes: , goaties use them for shade also.

6. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

They make good dog house and portable housing for other small stock .
    Planting tubs. concrete forms. wheel barrles small trailors for use behind lawn mowers.

7. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Are the barrels anywhere near California and are there enough that you don't mind sharing a few?

I've been looking at rain barrels and they're unbelievably expensive!

PS: I'd like a total of 2, maybe 3.

8. suburbanite

Planters for taters and other things that tend to run away and that do well with deep space for roots. Split top-to-bottom, pond liners for artificial 'waterfall pools'. Mouse-resistant grain containers. Horse toys (to roll around. I've seen it. depends on the horse--usually its the same ones that like soccerballs). Gymkhana obstacles. Jump standards. Jump obstacles. Ice buckets. ATV-resistant barriers (place, then fill with sand).

Was there anything in that list not already covered by others?

9. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

We Use Them For Burn Barrells, And Yard Tools Flipt The Hoe, Rake Broom Etc Upside Doen, They Are All Together When You Need Them, Come People Even Tie Them To A Dolly And Can Move The Barrell Around When Doing Yard Work, Water Barrells, Feed Troughs, Tunnels For The Kids, Growing Potatoes, Raised Beds

10. ricky

ricky Well-Known Member

most of our hutches on the farm were home made from old 55 gallon drums. how we did it was like this. lay the cans on there side cut top out totally, then cut the lower 1/3 can away so what you have left is a flat on the bottom so it sits level. next use 2x4s and make a bunk bed kind of set up big enough for 3 or 4 barells per tear. use 1/2 by 1/2 wire for the floors set the drums on the wood and wire frame. make wooden framed doors with same 1/2 wire hing them to the wood bed type frame and put a latch on the door and drum. if any one wants a drawing i can show you better than tell you.

11. I made strawberry barrels one time with a couple. It might have worked purty good if I hadn't used regular ole' garden dirt in them. Everything was going good and then the weed seeds sprouted and took over.

Anywho, I've thought about converting them over to tomatoe barrels and see if that would work too!..Only I'm gonna use something a little more purer then my garden dirt.

Oh the small 30 gallon plastic barrels make good deer feeders. Just cut a big hole out in the side and screw it to a tree. Then fill with a sweet grain feed. The deer and other animals will stick there head in the hole to eat the grain.

I've also cut the bottoms off about 4 or 5 inches up and screwed them straight to the barn wall, fill with hay, and presto! You have a hen nest. They will hold a lot of eggs!

12. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

That's interesting, how do you keep the plastic barrels from burning along with the trash?

13. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

I wish that I could take credit for this use of plastic barrels but it is my neighbor who came up with it. He made lamb warmers out of them. He cut off one end then cut an opening about 12" wide and 15" high at the opened end. He drilled a hole in the center of the solid end and installed a warming lamp into it as well as ropes to attach it to something so that it won't turn over. It is placed in the lambing jug, open end down. Lambs that are born during very cold weather can stay warm as well as have a place to cuddle up and not get laid on by their mommas. He gave me two of them and I will try them out next lambing season.

14. suburbanite

mawalla--is that lamb warmer sort of like a giant chick hover?

15. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Our neighbors made chairs out of them. They cut the bottoms off about a third of the way down. Then they cut the sides off down to seat level, leaving a chair back. They turned the bottoms over, fitted them into the barrel and bolted them on. Made great, sturdy chairs for outdoors.

16. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

I cut them into several pieces, [making rings to use as borders for flowers, plants etc. They do make good dog house too. [ white ones ] Cut a door on one end , only cutting the 2 sides & the bottom. Then fold UP this large " flap' & trim some off the top piece, leaving an " awning' loooking flap to shed water. Make a window, the same way at the top of the other end of the barrel about 6 in long x 4" high.Can mount to lanscape timbers, or bury the bottom, or sides in a little dirt, to help it stay cool.

17. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't have any right now but at my grandpa's farm, we used them as raised gardening beds, composters, and he built a house boat with about 25 of them underneath. The houseboat was moored and wasn't really a boat...more of a dock with a house on it. You can also fit them with a spigot on the bottom for drip irrigation. Just catch the water off the house and let it water the garden. Also, maybe an inground koi tank? What about filling it with sand/gravel and plopping a board on top for a table?

18. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

I usually have access to alot of barrels. I use them for all above purposes.

The "other" use is to cut off the top of a plastic one, drill holes in bottom, cut a hole on each side at the top, store recyclables in them. When full, I hook a chain in the two top holes and boom them up into my pickup for transport to the recycler.

Metal one can be welded end for end and used as one man submarines.... or torpedoes.

Quickest way to make a burn barrel out of a metal one is to stand it up and load up your favorite gun. Have at it.

19. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

:shrug:

20. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

My rather clever neighbor cut one in two, one half was used as a roof on a small dog house. He used the other half and some scrap angle iron to make a really neat wheelbarrow.