Uses for Old Toilet Tank/Bowl

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by chickflick, Dec 5, 2003.

1. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Okay... crafty, talented, intelliegent homesteaders:

WHAT does one DO with an old/replaced toilet? PLEASE don't tell me to set it in the yard and plant something in it. I'm looking for more USEFUL ideas..... IT IS porcelin and the tank is so nice and thick?

What about some sort of 'cooler' for milk/butter, etc. if power is out?

What else? Ideas, please.... let's brainstorm.... just go crazy... This should be fun!!:):)

2. Runners

Runners A real Quack!

An automatic waterer for your dog!

They use them in the house unless you put the lid down, go for it!

How about a water fountain? squirt water out of the bowl up into the tank...

3. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Depending on your home decor, you could make a chair out of it. :) Talk about trashy chic.

Put a crown on the tank and who ever sits on the throne wears the crown. :haha:

4. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

my neighbor did put his in the front yard & planted pretty flowers in it... OYE!

I like the dog waterer idea....

use it as a safe.... who is going to lift the lid of a toilet in your barn for your valuables?

skippatuffson likes this.
  5. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

beer party serving bowl? - (works fine until some wiseguy tosses a baby ruth in)

6. could always use it for a mixing bowl for punch over the holidays

7. dot

dot Well-Known Member

8. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Oh, geeze! C'mon you guys... LOL!!! :haha: :D

9. well ya could jeeze ,how do ya register here anyways.

10. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Livestock drinking troughs work best if they're always filled. That means a float valve, but livestock always end up wrecking a float valve. Dump the toilet cistern in the trough and the float valve inside will be protected. It will go on working, topping up the trough, but the animals can't interfere with it.

That leaves the seat. Pretty gross. Bury it, so it's out of sight. Leave the rim at ground level or just a couple if inches above. Mint is nice to have, but horrible invasive stuff. Plant it in the buried bowl, so it can't escape.

11. Terri in WV

Terri in WV Well-Known Member Supporter

south central Kentucky(finally out of all the snow
    A friend of mine busts them up to use in place of rocks in planters and flower beds(I know, it's not a funny, just a practical idea).

12. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

I once saw three mail boxes at a house:

One way up high labeled "Air Mail".

One at the usual level labeled "Mail".

And a toilet on the ground labeled "Junk Mail".

If you're going to be tacky, at least have a sense of humor about it!

If you take the tank off the bowl. It could be used to keep mint or other invasive plants in check. Just bury the tank in the ground with an inch or two above the ground. Then fill the bottom with broken pieces of the tank lid or gravel and the rest with good soil and plant. They're already holes in the bottom for drainage. The bowl might trap too much water and drown plants.

Send the bowl and tank lid (if you don't break it) to someone you don't like - freight collect.

The only other idea I have is to drill holes in the whole thing so that it can be bolted to a carberator. Then take out an ad in the newspaper and try to sell it to someone for $59.95 as a technology to improve fuel economy. A bogus study or two might help find a customer. It's worked before.

13. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I inherited one with the farm. I put it out in the pond. I stocked it with Crappie (pronounced Crop-pie elsewhere - Crap-pie here). I figured it I'm going to have Crappie, I might as well have a Crapper for them.

On some warm water coastal areas they are dumped out at sea to become artificial fish reefs.

In some places they are broken up and the brown material used to make reproduction arrowheads called "Johnnie Points". (By the way, about 80% - maybe higher - of the arrowheads on eBay are modern reproductions.)

Ken S. in WC TN

14. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

Although the season has passed, The two best uses I've seen are bobbing for candy bars at a halloween party and using it as a halloween candy server.
    Kirk

15. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

have it sitting outside & when your friends come over & have to use the "facilities" tell them you've got an outhouse now... this would be especially fun in February & late January.

16. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

Sorry, but just have to tell this....

As part of my job, we deliver books to home-bound people. In one of the towns, we served an old lady-retired school teacher. She was a real character. Her recycle-bin was always full of booze bottles. Her porch had a big sign that said "come on in; my day was already ruined". On either side of her entrance way big as life, were TWO old toilets, planted with cactus !
    She liked us because she enjoyed the books we brought, but was always complaining about some relatives that liked to drop in and visit.
    She has passed on now, but I still get a chuckle when I think about her; she sure lived out her retirement years on her own terms !

17. BinVA

BinVA New Member

I knew a old farmer who used it as a salt block holder. He never threw away anything :haha:

18. mygrayfarm

mygrayfarm Well-Known Member

I don't know how things are where you are, but in this area (Baltimore/Washington corridor) they have mandated those low-water-flush abominations for new construction. You have to hit the handle about three times before you really - ahem - clear things up. Anyone advertising a regular, robust-flush toilet in the classifieds usually gets a mighty quick sale, as people are removing the new ones and retrofitting their ****oirs with the old ones that ACTUALLY WORKED.

Sorry for the indelicate expressions but 'tis an indelicate subgect... :eek: