Uses for old motor oil, etc

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tnborn, Nov 4, 2005.

1. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

I use my old motor oil to paint the inside and outside of the chicken house. It helps deter mites, lice an other nasty things that pray on my chickens. :clap:
    Also, I paint used trasmission fluid on my outbuildings to keep it from turning grey and deter termites.Sometimes, used oil depending what is available. I have sprayed oil for weeds just because it was handy and had lots of weeds.It killed them.99% of time I take it to the recycle place. Sometimes, I just need a touch up on some of my buildings.Any other uses for old oil?
    tnborn

2. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

can you spray it on ranch roads??

3. mamacags

mamacags Well-Known Member

Fill a 5 gallon bucket with sand and pour in used oil. Then take your outdoor tools and stick them in there a could of times. It sands off rust and the oil prevents rust on them. The sand also sharpens the tools.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Do not pour oil on the ground, 1 quart can contaminiate 180,000 gallons of ground water. Such action is criminial in my opinion. It is illegal to do such in Florida, hopefully every place where else also.

5. bachelorb

bachelorb Well-Known Member

I use old oil as chain saw bar oil. I've also used it to help get brush fires going

6. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Hey Mitch, Are you saying that I am a criminal? :D I sprayed it one time and I thought about the environmental after the thistles started dying.Good news. They completely died. So, I haven't sprayed anymore for weed killer.
    tnborn

7. bretthunting

bretthunting Well-Known Member

put any old,uesd oil in an empty 55 gal.drum,put wood fence posts in on end that is going to be put in the ground on let them set for a few days and you will have "treated posts" at a lot less expense.

8. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Pour it into stagnant water it kills the skeeters.

9. Jeff54321

Jeff54321 Well-Known Member

..........and just about everything else that it comes in contact with. Pouring out USED oil anywhere on the land is poisoning your own backyard (and everyone else's). Also known as Shi**ing in your own mess kit. Used oil is one of the nastiest contaminants around. I was once a used oil spreader until I read up on the subject. That stopped me. Jeff

10. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Where would you get Used motor oil. I just add and add. But it's blowan it all over. Maybe one day I'll have that problem.

11. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

The main thing that folks are not understanding is Oil does NOT wear out it gets Dirty. Therefore It can be,Cleaned and reused. Or you can get A tri-Atery burn furnace that will burn the oil with little pollution. But cleaning the oil is easy. You just bring it to A boil, And then add Lime , And stir, It will collect the impurities and they settle to the bottom and then you drain the oil into cans to use. I know I over simplified this but thats the basic way its done. The resulting slude is NOT burned but mixed with Asphalt for paviving. I used to have about 150 gallons of used Oil every year, The people around the house .Used it for there cars And to kill Mange on there pets. I would add Lucas oil additive to every oil change At the 15000 mile recomended intervals.. As recomended by Cat. Cummins And Detroit.

12. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I don't think it is a very good idea to use used motor oil in any way that it could get into the water table. I turn mine in to my local fire station for re-cycle.I used to use it to kill weeds along the fence lines, but I have changed my mind about that, & it has nothing to do with laws or regulations, & everything to do with my changing views about protecting the enviorment in small, but important ways. JMO. :grump:

13. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

waste oil furnace, auto places will pay you to pick up their used oil even.

14. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

My company has to Pay someone to pick up our used oil, but you can bet that there is a profit in it, or they wouldn't be doing it!

15. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

I can't believe people are admitting to pouring oil on the ground!

Thank goodness some of us have "seen the light!" and are making better decisions!

At home, we save our oil in drums and then when the "recycle" oil wagon comes to town - we haul it down and empty into their tanks. The recycle wagon comes to town twice a year which is perfect, no muss - no fuss - no cost.

Before the recycle wagon, several of the towns around us offer oil collection days - we just have to drive a little further - but still better than tainting my neighbor's water.

Check with your State's Environmental Protection Agency or local Extension office to see if there is a recycling program.

16. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't advocate pouring oil all over but if the sludge and all that is added to asphalt (oil granola) How can it be that toxic. ?? There is like what a Brazillion gallons of it on the roads. :confused:

17. East Texas Pine Rooter

East Texas Pine Rooter Well-Known Member

I use a cotton mop ,and mop it on my 16-foot treated lumber utility trailer. It helps the wood from drying out, and it is not kept under a roof.

18. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Questions: is there a smell of petroleum after you do this? Gas and oil fumes are toxic and carcinogenic...do you use it on the floor or just walls? Bleaching the henhouse works pretty good---Spring and Summer, clean it out, lock out the birds and wash with a bleach solution...also using fireplace ashes kills parasites as well, seems less toxic?

19. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Stuff works great to start stubborn wood fire from scratch when wood is wet, frozen, etc. Liquid kindling I call it. Half cup or so works. Doesnt flash like lighter weight petroleum products (thats a very good thing) so you need couple wads of dry newspaper to get it to burning.. Course some common sense, like dont throw it in an already hot stove which wouldnt need it anyway. I swear some people can make anything dangerous.

20. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

I use oil on the door outside. Also, I use it around the nesting boxes, the walls and the floor in spring when the chickens are out. I don't have fumes because I air the chicken house.
    Bleach has fumes too and is also toxic.
    tnborn