Uses for old guitar strings?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by flutemandolin, Mar 10, 2004.

1. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

I just re-strung my mandolin for the first time in way too long, and I hate to just throw away the old strings because they look like they might be good for something. I also have an octave mandolin and a guitar that I hope to put new strings on soon, which means I'll be left with 22 short (2-3 ft) lengths of wire of various gauges, some steel, some wound with bronze. I think they would be good for miscellaneous repairs or maybe art projects for the kids. Has anyone ever recycled guitar strings, and if so what uses have you come up with for them?

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

excellent for cutting big blocks of clay

donate them to local art school

3. Peanut

Peanut Member

I've always thought they would work great as a snare for small animals. In a survival situation of course, and if I happened to have guitar strings with me...

4. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

They make a great garotte... :D

J

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Could you use them as the strings for a trellis?

6. MamaWolfInWV

MamaWolfInWV Well-Known Member

They are great for taking out busted windshields (never follow close behind a coal truck :rolleyes: :haha: ). Other than that I dunno. I have always thrown mine away because I didn't know what else they could be used for.

7. RAC

RAC Guest

If they were washed/rinsed carefully, you could also cut cake and cheese with them.

Or maybe use them as replacement strings for those cute little door harps (is that what they're called?).

8. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

In prison they use the "g" string to make tattoo needles for their home made tattoo guns.
    Kirk

9. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

I use the thin ones to replace the wire in my cheese slicer. The rest just hang around somewhere.

10. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Gee, I've always just thrown them away, but I like the idea of recycling them. Now you've got me to thinking. Thanks.

11. Gimpy_Magoo

Gimpy_Magoo Well-Known Member

Let's see...

if there steel give em to a hobby shop or a radio control club. I used to use em for pull pull control linkage for the control surfaces.

repair a fance with em.

use as thumb cuffs. (tie thumbs together)

cheese slicer

clay cutter

use em to make foam a cutting knife (steel only)

put a length into your survival knife (ya never know)

roll em all up into a ball and sooner or later you might make guiness for the largest guitar string ball. Then watch em drop it from an airplane on national tv and do absolutely nothing.

donate em to a student guitar player who cant afford new strings.

start a guitar string recycling center and collect millions of discarded strings then... see guitar string ball.

Solder eye loops at the ends and make computer security ropes out of em.
    bolt one end to the pv and the other to the desk.

Solder eyeletts on each end and make mini pad lock ropes out of em.

start a new trend. Loop each end around eye glasses and make those specticle ropes you see the trendy people wear.

get a styrofoam ball. paint a face on it. cut up some strings and stick em in the ball so they poke out all over. make a trendy gia pet. no watering neeved.

donate em to the tatoo piercing parlor. I am sure someone will want to stick em through thier noses.

use em as heavy duty fishing leaders. paint em flashy neon colors and call em new and improved. make a mint. heh the helicopter lure did :)

I'll sleep on it and let you know :)

Gimpy

12. mousecat33

mousecat33 Well-Known Member

Wound strings make for good rabbit snares. Very effective, as the brass nut won't back off when cinched because of the windings.

As Gimpy said, "...ya never know...."

mc

13. to turn this one around a little bit....

you can get 100 feet of thin gauge string super cheap with just a little bit of work. get some weedeater wire, and pull the plastic off of it, cut it to length. works great on banjo's, mandolins, dulcimers, bright sounding stuff.

after you're done with it on your guitar, make some jewelery.

14. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Lots of good ideas!
    I always keep a few around to reuse when I break a string and can't get to the music store for replacements.

Anyone have a favorite on-line store?

15. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

Great ideas everyone! I posted this mostly for fun, but there are a few practical uses to think about now! I'll probably keep them on hand somewhere because ya never know...of course if I save up enough of them I could get creative and make a huge "wind harp", kinda like wind chimes except the wind moves little hammers that hit the strings. Or maybe make a snare and try to catch the red squirrels on my bird feeder.

I've never bought strings online; come to think of it I haven't bought strings in years. I gotta start playing more! :D

16. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

I have an old book from the 1960's and it tells how to make a window harp. Basically it is a box that is put on the window sill and then you close the window on it and when the wind blows the strings sing (vibrate). the plan uses 12 strings (4 - g's, 4 - b's and 4 - e's).

17. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

MN Mom, that sounds like a great idea! I might have to give it a try. Thanks!