Uses for Empty Thread Spools?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Peacock, May 8, 2008.

1. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I am getting a HUGE collection of these. I hate to toss them out, I don't know why, I just have a suspicion there's a good use for them but I can't figure it out. Anybody got a good idea?

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My kids LOVED to play with them when they were small. Maybe you could donate them to a daycare center.

3. CaliannG

CaliannG She who waits.... Supporter

They make terrific cat toys.

My mother also uses them for craft projects.

You can string them together on twine for a clacking wind chime, or glue them together for the supports for small stands.

I Googled "uses" "old thread spools" and came up with 2 pages that had everything from making crafts with them to making bombs with them.

Peace,
    Caliann

4. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Mom used to cut them in half, and use for knobs on pans, etc

5. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Once I read of a use for them so I started saving them. Now I have a box of them and can't remember what I was saving them for. Oy vey!

6. Scrounger

Scrounger Well-Known Member

I have s few shed doors with spools as handles. They work great for cabinet door handles,too.

Send them to me, I'll use them!

7. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

I get a lot of the cone type sewing thread at thrift stores and if you stick an empty spool into the bottom of the cone you can use it on your sewing machine without buying one of those attachments to use the thread cones.

8. Use Less

Use Less Well-Known Member Supporter

I saved a bag of wooden ones as I emptied the thread. Still have a box of same, mostly w/silk thread, from my MIL. Way past use, but still pretty & shiny. Haven't figured out how to display them, though.... Give the styrofoam and plastic ones to somebody's preschooler or preschool with some long, sturdy shoelaces for stringing, or as part of a set of blocks. Make great columns, castle decor, etc. Sue

9. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

10. ZMTmom

ZMTmom Well-Known Member

Oh, that spool doll is precious!! Our SS craft closet at church has a box of them...toddlers love to use them to "string" on yarn.

11. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

I would LOVE to buy some wooden ones if anybody would like to get rid of them. I've been keeping my eyes open at the antique stores and auctions/yard sales for them lately...no luck yet but the season is young and we've a wee road trip this weekend!

~~

12. Scott in Florida Panhandl

Scott in Florida Panhandl Well-Known Member

Screw them to a board for a coat\hat rack.

Scott

13. moonwild

moonwild Well-Known Member

Cute perches on birdhouses too. If you have a huge excess they sell well on ebay to assemblage artists!
    laurie
    http://moonwild.etsy.com

14. Sonshine

Sonshine Well-Known Member Supporter

You could always teach a class of spool weaving. :) Of course, they have to be wooden spools.

15. chickenista

chickenista Original recipe! Supporter

Hmmm... well.. you could super glue together into a rod and make a toilet paper holder or a kitchen towel holder..put them on a thin dowel so they would turn and put them on a spike in the garden so your hose would slide around corners.
    Glue them together the other way (side by side) into a square and make a trivet for the kitchen or table or a drying rack for your canning jars to sit on to drain or to cool.
    If you have tons you could make a bathmat or a mat for the back door. Or a mat to set dirty muddy shoes on.
    That is all I can think of now.... if anything else pops in my mind I will add on...

16. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I save them, too. I like the little man strung together. I may make several of them and decorate my sewing room.

17. ldc

ldc Well-Known Member Supporter

We used to make Christmas decorations with them too, when I was growing up. Either singly or in chains. ldc

18. cowkeeper

cowkeeper Well-Known Member

My brother and I used to make them into 'tanks'. Of course, they were the good old wooden spools. You get a short bit of spent wooden matchstick, a bobby pin and an elastic. Put the matchstick at one end with the elastic around it, thread the elastic through the hole, then put the bobby pin at the other end. Twist tight and let go, and your tank will lurch across the floor.
    Sigh, kids could so easily entertain themselves before TV and all this other stuff!

19. Common Tator

Common Tator Uber Tuber

20. calliemoonbeam

calliemoonbeam Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, I'd love to have some too! If anyone wants to get rid of them, I'd be happy to buy them from you. I used to have a bunch, but lost them in a house fire. I've also been keeping an eye out when I go to thrift stores, yard sales, etc., but no luck so far.