Uses for Clothesline Poles

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beststash, May 19, 2005.

1. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

The wife does not like to use a clothesline for drying clothes...I pulled the pipe poles up with tractor yesterday and was wondering what to do with them.
    Does anyone have any ideas of some uses for these before I dispose of them?? I was thinking of maybe some sort of garden use???

2. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Wish I was closer, as I would love to have a clothes line poles!

3. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I saw a plan in a magazine a few months ago (can't remember if it was Mother Earth or Countryside) that suggested planting tomatoes in a bucket hung from a pole. They made holes in the bucket kind of like a strawberry pot and planted the plants upside down. The idea is that they grow downward making support obsolete, and making the fruits easy to pick. I'm going to try it this year on my old satelite dish pole. You could also drill screws into the pole around the top, affix wire to the screws, then run it down to the ground teepee style and stake the bottoms, then use it for pole beans to climb up. We used to do something similar with pole beans, but the garden snakes started to like the shade inside the teepee so much that I lost my nerve and quit doing it! :p You'll think of something! Seems a shame to throw them out.

4. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Buried deep enough and with another cross piece, I'd use them to hold up a row of raspberries. YUM

5. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

The one I managed to pull out of the ground made a sturdy flag pole base (sideways, one half of the top bar hammered into the ground, long part lying on the ground, other half of top bar sticking up straight, smaller pipe flag pole stuck into that). The other one is set in so much concrete that I can't budge it, so I'm thinking of turning it into the structural center of a simple A-frame storage "shed" by adding some poles and tarp.

Sturdy pipe always comes in handy for this or that... you could also incorporate it into some kind of watering system for the garden, seeing as how the cross bar has small holes in it. Or you could cut the cross bar off and use the pieces as posts for a climber trellis (attach your string or wire through the holes where the clothesline was). Or use as a pole for a martin house or other large birdhouse/feeder.

6. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

pitch a roof between them and use it as your firewood shelter.

J

7. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Dig two holes and put the poles in concrete. Fasten a hammock to them....and lay back and enjoy the summer. :)