Uses for Chicken wire?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by happy@home, Apr 18, 2005.

1. happy@home

happy@home Well-Known Member

My ds scavenged a bunch of chicken wire so I'm going to use some of it to protect my flower bed that our puppy wants to play in. I'm going to use some more for growing pole beans. Some will line our pallet compost bin. I should have a lot left over, any ideas for it?

2. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I put it on the ground around the chicken fence to keep other animals from digging under. You can line the hole for your plants (about a square foot) with it to keep moles from eating the roots.

3. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

holding leafmould (gathered fall leaves- leave it a year or two- then great in pots, as a mulch/compost ((but low nutr more like peat)) )

4. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Depending on the condition, if you have cabinet doors with glass or need to replace or make cabinet doors, use the chicken wire in place of the glass or the solid panel for some or all of the cabinet doors. Remove the screen wire on an old screen door, attach the chicken wire, and put it on a pantry door.

Put it on the wall and use it to attach various decorations or train a plant on it.

Stretch it over a table or chair and paint over it then remove for a paint effect.

Wad some up to put in a container to hold stems in a floral arrangement.

A liner for hanging baskets with large openings.

Make some crates to carry /hold chickens when relocating, selling, butchering.

Spray paint it and use it a a table runner on an outdoor table for a cookout.

Fold several times and use it as a sifter for poting soil.

5. qtkitty

qtkitty Well-Known Member

That is a good one i will have to remember that one since there are no leash laws on dogs around here.

6. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Make a little fenced area for your chicks you now have to get. :haha:

7. happy@home

happy@home Well-Known Member

Wow, great ideas. Thank you all.
    Ds did a great job finding fencing for me, he found some other fence that will work great for growing my cucumbers up on too.

8. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I agree with Crashy, make a small portable pen for chicks when they get big enuf to go outside. We have 2 of them and one medium one for turkeys. (besides the 3 we use)(thats 6)
    Thank gawd for 10 acres!