uses for big rocks/boulders

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by crwilson, Mar 17, 2005.

1. crwilson

crwilson Well-Known Member

Hey folks what would you guys use large rocks and boulders for, the backside of a field im getting from my pop has many large boulders some are about 3 feet across and 5 feet long and two or three feet thick and larger and smaller ones also. of course they are all various shapes... Im going to be building a cordwood house late this summer and i was wondering if its completley insaine of thinking of using them in a foundation someway... I thought perhaps i could light big fires on them then dump very cold water on them and shater them into smaller workable pieces, as there arent really many good rocks around besides them.

Think it would work? Also what would happen if you used them in a foundation the size they are, like along the bottom is that completely insaine? shore would build it up fast instead of thousands of smaller stones, hehe

thanks

2. diane

diane Well-Known Member

What you are suggesting was done by many early homesteaders and settlers. Depending upon where you are that is very feasible, but if you are in the north I would dig down below frostline and start in there. It also depends on codes in your area.......some places are more strictly regulated than others. The biggest crop our fields produce around here is rocks :haha:

We have stacked them for fencewalls, built raised beds out of them and used them for landscaping. I always said that if I could move my rocks to where the market was that I would be a millionaire. :D

Oh, and building a fire and using the cold water works well. We have had to do that with some really huge rocks in the fields as we don't have heavy enough equipment to remove them the size the are.

3. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

I'd say sell them to local landscapers they will often pick them up and pay you good money. They sell them to people who like that sort of thing in their yard. We work to get them out of the fields for thousands of years. A yuppie buys the field now they want them back :no: .

4. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Lol, that post is so true, Stan! I always laugh when I see a huge rock in someone's yard. I'm also so glad it wasn't me that had to break a couple of shoulders and my back digging it out!

But I was interestedly watching this post because I have SO many rocks on my place and on my road. I have often wondered if you couldn't build a foundation out of them too.

hollym

5. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Pretend you live on Easter island and carve them. Have some fun.

6. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

A swimming floaty for my ex-wife? Here honey, hold THIS! :haha:

7. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

Yes. Good for foundation rocks. Corners to mark your property lines. Line your driveway with them. Must be lots of good uses for them. Look at everything on your land as an asset. Hmmmm - what can I use THAT for?

Good luck and keep us posted what you do with them. :)

gotta love those hills.....

Ozarkguy

8. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Save some to put in the goat pasture. Keeps their hooves trim and gives you hours of amusement watching them play king of the hill.

9. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Did some landscaping jobs in a former life.Folks and those stupid decorative rocks..."over here,now turn it,up on its side......"
    HATED those stupid rocks!

BooBoo

10. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Here is what we did with some of ours.
    [​IMG]

11. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I used a bunch of ours to build stairs up the side of a hill. Also, you could stack them to build a fence and use them as a path to walk on.

12. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

This can be done, but be REAL careful. I've seen rocks literally explode sometimes as a result of using this method.

13. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I'm not for the exploding rock idea as it can backfire really easily.

Consider lining your driveway or the north side of your garden bed as the rocks absorb the heat and release it at night which provides you with a bit of a micro-climate. If there were enough I would outline a garden bed with an entrance I'd gate. Might keep the rabbits out and discourage the other raiders.

14. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I'd say sell 'em. I helped a friend de-rock a spot for his driveway and garage and two local landscapers and a couple of homeowners who had driven by and seen them, got into a bidding war for the rocks and boulders. It paid for the gravel and dang near paid for the garage.

15. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

my yuppie bro and housemates got a few rocks unwanted in nearby yards when the neighborhood was going up and arranged them in the back yard. Nice place to sit and he says they burn a fire there etc in evenings sometimes. They look nice in the lawn- mowing around them's a pain though.

16. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

So, how many of us are going to try the exploding rock trick this summer? :haha:

17. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I have a large stream on the back side of my beef farm and the stream continues to erode the stream bank which was stabilized during WPA days. This erosion started after the previous owner was going to alter the water flow with a track hoe. I am using the large rocks that I can find to create diversions in the stream to "naturally" redirect the flow. Obviously this is a slow process but I have observed that the rocks are creating a concentrated flow with a much deeper depth in the stream and achieving the desired results. However, I must admit the change is slower than watching paint dry! PS...there is a technical name applied to the above process but I cannot recall the term. Do any of you know the term as I want to do some research?

18. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

Agmantoo,

Sounds like you are describing wing dams.

In some states, you can't mess with stream flows or even alter river banks without getting your backside in a sling. In MN, they regulate this kind of stuff heavily. I know a guy who changed the river bank at back end of his place so it was a long smooth grade. They fined him heavily.

19. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

As a soil scientist, I thought I should let you know what a special type of geomorphism you have in your backyard. The technical term we use for those boulders is "leaverites."

You oughta leaverite there.......

20. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter