Uses for barrels

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tambo, Oct 6, 2004.

1. tambo

tambo Well-Known Member

I have one plastic barrel and one metal barrel.I was going to use the plastic one to catch water.I'm not sure what to use the other one for.I don't need a burn barrel.I saw in this months issue of Backhome mag. where I could cut it about a third of the way up and use it to hold hot coals for a dutch oven.

What other things could I use these barrels for?It there a way to make a smoker out of the metal one?

Tambo

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I use two metal barrels - one cut to 2/3 upright the other in half horizontally- to heat water to scald pigs. I've seen metal barrels cut horizontally and placed on a stand with hinges on the backside and a grip on the front and used as a barbecue/smoker.

3. creeklady2000

creeklady2000 Well-Known Member

the plastic ones make good cheep dog houses!!!! either dig alittle holow out for it to sit in or brace it with bricks so you little doggy does not go rolling away!!!! :haha:

4. Gypsy

Gypsy Well-Known Member

I've seen two good suggestions elsewhere on this forum;

1. If filled with water and painted black they will absorb heat during the day
    and may be used to heat for instance a greenhouse at night.

2. Also, I've seen it suggested here that in conjunction with a frame and old
    pair of roller skates they may be made into a tumbling compost bin.

Both ideas pretty clever, I think – neither one was mine.

5. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Cut the top end about a 1/3 to 1/4, use it to build a firepit.

6. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

We have a few around here :rolleyes:

-burning barrel (of course)
    -hung up with ropes and the kids ride it as a bucking bull. Dh attached ropes onto each corner so the kids take turns pulling it while someone rides. Not as easy as it sounds, and I've fallen off more times than not!
    -I punched two holes under the rim and put a chain thru it, and dragged it behind our pickup to scoop gravel out of a pile and then dumped it in the spot we needed. This is a real back saver!
    -Paint them and use them as planters. I've seen where someone did this then attached a cattle gate between them at the end of their driveway. It was really nice looking.
    -age straw and rabbit poop in, put lid on and roll every once in awhile.
    -Goats love to climb on them
    -water barrel for horses
    -buried halfway in the ground with the bottom sticking out makes good sitting places around the property. You can even paint them.

Deb

7. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

empty oil drums are dandy for making mother in laws or jehovahs witnesses dissapear.

8. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

You could use the metal one as a container to burn out stumps. Cut both ends out and if you can cut it in half then you'd have 2. Place over a stump that you want gone and that way it will keep it contained.

9. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Somebody has already suggested a bucking bull with rope, you can also mount it on a big truck spring. great fun for kids, and great exercise and fun for adults.

cut the metal drum in half or even in thirds and drill holes or weld cut a design in the sides...wallah, you have a nifty firepit (They were selling them at last years National Finals Rodeo gift show for around $300)

Either one cut in half or thirds can make handy feeders/water drums for livestock

Drill holes in a metal drum, cut about a foot and a half square door and hinge it. then mount the drum on a spitt-like axle. One compost turner for a fraction of the price of a store bought one.

I recall an article in a past Countryside Mag. where a woman turned a plastic barrel into a clothes washer (sorry I can't recall which issue at this time :( )

10. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

If you check out Gardener's Supply, you will see big rainbarrels for big bucks. I would think one could use the barrels for something like that. A lot of water comes off the roofs during a moderate rain storm.

Sandi

11. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

we bougt a barrel last weekend, and we are taking, gutter purchased for this house in m.s. with us to t.x. just for this reason (to catch rain water) seem like my uncle is the closest to the well and if he gets upset with you, he will turn your water off, so this will be our back-up supply.

12. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

"empty oil drums are dandy for making mother in laws or jehovahs witnesses dissapear."

I never realized Jimmy Hoffa was of that religious persuasion!

13. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

septic tanks!
    There are two ways to use them. On is; using the hole on the top of the drum (Enlarged to take a pipe), one end attached to the drum the other to your plumbing, shoot holes in the drum to let the liquid leach out, back fill with gravel and cover up. The other is actually use the drum as a tank, attaching one end to the plumbing and another hole in the bottom attached to leach lines. Whether it is legal or not depends on your codes.

Makes a great 'dogy dooley' composter just add the enzymes without having to buy one:
    http://www.speedypetproducts.com/Me...Y&Category_Code=DWCP&?source=overture_dogpoop
    http://www.composters.com/docs/petdigester.html