Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If everything goes as planned we will be settling on our first home at the end of the month. I have a old wringer washer we will be using for now but we will need a dryer for winter time, we will be hanging our clothes out when weather permits.

I found a ten year old Speed Queen dryer for sale, they say it is ten years old but was used very little because there mother thought that using a dryer damager clothes. It looks to be in good shape and they want 125.00, is it worth it?

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Having a Speed Queen washer, I'm a big believer in the brand. They make most their machines for laundramats, so they're made to last.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Seems a little high for a 10 yr. old machine. Look on Craigslist. You can find newer and cheaper ones.

Reactions: DAVID In Wisconsin

·
Registered
587 Posts
I would buy a Speed Queen dryer or washer in a heartbeat. New or used. They are made to last. The price is a little high, though. Do you think you could talk them down a little? The most I would pay for a regular dryer would be $50. A Speed Queen might justify a few more dollars.

Other folks on the board might be more help than I, and know more about pricing one.

·
plains of Colorado
4,155 Posts
It will last...our dryer went thru 3 washers before it died. I'm thinking 23 yrs. BUT that seems a little high for used.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I offered them 75.00. Hopefully the accept it, it is an ugly brown color but that really doesn't matter

·
Registered
859 Posts
I paid 750 for a brand new speed queen dryer this spring so it sounds like a good price to me ;) I chose speed queen because of the reviews and longevity

·
Registered
529 Posts
They use speed queen appliances in the correctional facility I work in. They do more laundry in a month here than most people would do in a lifetime. I highly recommend them.

I always thought the name was kinda funny considering.........

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
If it is electric, buy it provided it works. Electric dryers are SO simple and inexpensive to fix on your own. And there are tutorials available for many repairs. See http://www.repairmydryer.com/ . As far as price goes, compare on Craigslist - for a 10yr old dryer, that might be a little high. I would bet they would go for $100 even.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
We don't use a dryer.

Inside during wet weather, outside during dry weather.

We dry clothes around the wood stove downstairs. Saves us over $30 a month.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts