Used solar panels

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sisterpine, Jun 21, 2004.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Greetings from Montana: I am looking for used solar panels. So if you know anyone who has any would you please put them in touch with me. Panels must be able to be used in a 12 volt system and must be 60 watt or better and in good working condition. Many thanks, just cannot afford brand new ones!

2. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

I doubt I would buy a used solar panel unless I knew the person I was buying from and why they were selling the panel. Its not something that is just replaced. Usually you add on to your panels.

3. sisterpine

Gary: I have found used solar panels to be a fine deal as long as they are tested prior to purchase. My neighbor found some from someone who was finally able to hook to land line power and preferred that. So they are out there you gotta be very careful! thanks for the advice !

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I have bought used solar panels too(Fella moving off his ranch).They are very hard to find because they really dont wear out.If you buy a used name brand panel,as long as the frame is intact,no cracks,and front is clear,and they make rated power you cant go wrong.They also seem to be outlasting their rated lifetimes of 25-30 years.Super deal used,IF you can just find them.
    BooBoo

5. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

You might try www.backwoodssolar.com at the bottom of the page click on "Newsletter." Then click "Customer Classifieds." Their ads change on a fairly regular basis. Good luck!

6. sisterpine

thanks dave i added backwoods to my fav list so i can check it weekly!