Used shipping containers as homes/storage

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Torch, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    www.undergroundcontainer.com

Seems to me that one of two of these would make great storage sheds. Any reason why they would HAVE to be underground?

2. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

That article makes it sound as simple as digging a hole and dropping in a container. I'd be afraid of rust. How does one keep the water away from a 40 shipping container made from metal and non-treated hardwood? It seems like a good idea otherwise. I know of lots of people who use them as above ground storage.

3. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

It would have to be underground cause in the sun they are really large ovens. :)

A horse riding school I went to used one for a tack shed - you HAD to keep the doors open or it got unbearable in there ... and this is in Northern Alberta. :)

4. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Could be for insulation, cool in the summer, warm in the winter. Above ground you'd have to add insulation and maybe not get the same results.

As far as below ground and rusting, they could be sealed (waterproof) just like a regular foundation.

5. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

A friend of my husbands tried this in Southern NJ. Sandy soil it was easy to dig out. He didn't re-enforce the inside much and when he had concreet poured up the sides the thing just bucked in on itself. LOL everyone kept telling him that would happen (you could amost move the metal with your hand on the side) but he didn't listen. Now he has a very expencive hole in the ground he can't use. He was so made he just buldozed dirt back over it so you would never know its under there. 100 years from now someone is going to be digging and think what the heck LOL.

6. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

By looking at his plans, he still adds insulation to the undground ones. The places marked as cold storage are uninsulated. The plans he has posted would have a hard time passing any kind of building/occupancy code for egress from sleeping areas.

7. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

It's made clear on the FAQ at the bottom of the page to make sure to build the thing somewhere that doesn't enforce any building codes. Nowhere did I read anything about keeping the water away from all that metal. Maybe it's because he's in Montana and I'm in Alabama that I'd be concerned about something he's not. Does it not rain in Montana, ever?

8. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm in a rush today, leaving for a mini trip. But, go to www.tractorbynet.com . Go to the 'Projects' forum. Somewhere in there is a _long_ thread on a fellow who started a storage shed/ apartment which he suddenly _needed_ and made into quite a nice dwelling. Fellow did pics as he built, a _very_ nice resource if you can find it. He did this over a year ago, but the thread bubbles up to the top every now & then, so look back a ways.

Get 2 containers, put a roof over the top. Takes care of the heat issue. Do not bury for the reasons you all suspect.

--->Paul

9. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Yep. But by the way some of the posts were sounding they hadn't looked at the pictures well enough to see the insulation , so I dought they would have made it to the bottom of the page to see the FAQ. No Offense inteneded to anyone. I often just glance over pages TOO!

I grew up in Montana and it does rain there. Just not in the amount it does in Alabama. With a little ingenouity (sp?) they could be built to at least meet egress codes. Because I see no pictures of anything actually built, I wonder if he's actualy built anything. By the looks of the plans he has no architectual training, but has mastered at least the basics of AutoCAD. Wondering if he might just be a High School kid that wrote this up to fit some assignment.

10. buspete

buspete Well-Known Member

We were going to undertake a project with a container last year, but found prices for used ones had skyrocketed because so many were being used to ship stuff to Iraq and for storage over there. Instead of being a couple of hundred bucks, they were in the $1500 range for a really beat up one (I.E. needed door work) and $2500+ for a decent one.

11. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have ANY zoning at all the container house will not meet any building codes. You might get a variance but then again you may not.

12. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Eddie sold the land where his container barn was, and is moving at the end of this month. He is building an awesome RV park and is nearly finished with his new home and workshop. Check his container barn out here:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...r/374549/page/0/view//sb/5/o/all/fpart/1/vc/1