Used Oilfield Pipe in Oklahoma?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SouthernThunder, Sep 15, 2004.

1. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

Anyone know of a good CHEAP source of used oilfield pipe around Oklahoma? Looking for fence pipe around 2 7/8". I know some of the steel an pipe places sell it but they mark it up quite a bit. Cheapest I found from a pipe company was $1.40 a foot for used oilfield pipe. I've been told you can get it occasionally from oil companies for significatly less. (less than $1 a foot) But I don't know who to talk to.

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................Old OF pipe use to be very available ...and cheap . It, had lots of problems that made working with it sometimes almost impossible . (1) some joints are EXtremely heavy(thick) for high pressure applications and were Overkill for most fencing applications. (2) Some of the joints were almost rusted out from being used in salt water production situations . (3) And, the Problem that I disliked the Most was when the entire inside was caked with Paraffin . Evertime you tried to cut or saddle an end it would catch on fire and burn like the devil's coctail . I hated that stuff . For the last 4 years or so the supplier hereabouts has been importing pipe almost exclusively from Mexican steel mills and it is clean , fairly strong , and easy to cut and saddle with a Torch....and Weld as well . .........fordy...... :eek: :)

3. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Shoot! It used to be expensive at 65 cents a foot (or at least we thought so). I guess that was at least 10 year or so ago. :eek:
    We use it too!
    [​IMG]

4. Jo in PA

Jo in PA Well-Known Member

Cowgirlone, your horses are beautiful!

5. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Just to give comparison pricing: In Rapid City South Dakota at Pacific Steel the
    brand new oil field pipe, that failed inspection, is $1.85 ft for the 6" and 25 cents a pound for the 2". Plus $15 cutting fee for rough percision cutting or you can bring your own torch.

The pieces I saw were all about 40' lengths for the 6" and the same, but jointed in between, for the 2".

6. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Thank you Jo! He was one of my babies from last year.
    :)