Used my Lucky Queen

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by WayneH, May 9, 2005.

1. WayneH

WayneH Active Member

I went through one of my hives yesterday and one was totally queenless. No eggs, lots of drone larvae. So I moved my Lucky Queen in.

She came to me this spring all on her own. I opened up an empty hive box and found bees in there! Turns out there was a marked queen in there too. The neat thing is that I've never owned a marked queen in my life! She must have migrated from someone elses hive. Well, I'm glad she did because I really needed her this week.

Wayne

2. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

Wayne, That does sound like a "lucky" queen for you! I wish Icould get bees to just show up in my hive bodies..... :cool:

3. WayneH

WayneH Active Member

Among my small circle of beekeeping friends, there's a running joke that I walk off with their queens. We once disassembled a friends hive and looked all over for the queen. Couldn't find it. There were new eggs, so we weren't too worried. Then when walking back to the house, I brushed a bee off of my sleeve. Just as I knocked it off, I realized that it was the queen!

Since then, there's been a running joke. Finding a strange queen in one of my empty hives just make the joke funnier!

Wayne