Used Motor Oil

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Rick, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Most discussion forums don't like cross-posting like this, it clutters & confuses. But that's not my business, no biggie to me.

As mentioned in the other thread, no idea what it is you are asking about. You want to burn old used oil in a diesel is my wag, but I have no idea if I'm close? :)

--->Paul

3. Rick

Paul

I have a great deal of respect for your knowledge, and your willingness to share information with others, as well as how unassuming you come accross.

I posted the question where I thought it belonged- shop talk.

I am actually asking about making wood finish for out-buildings, so I will go explain this in ST.

Thanks,

Rick

I cross posted it where I thought it had the best chance to attract an answer- iin the homesteading questions section (with a link back to ST, so answers might be posted in only one place) , since HQ has 10 times the number of posts that ST has.

Rick

4. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Rick,
    I painted some fences that were made of rough oak lumber, with just straight burned oil, about 6 years ago. They are showing no signs of rot at all.
    I did the same thing on a round pen that we built in the 70s, & the boards lasted over 20 years with only being retreated one time.
    Dh wanted me to thin it with diesel so we could spray it on, but I had lots of free time, so I just painted it on with a big paint brush.

5. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

I also use drain oil for keeping my horses from chewing the wood. Works great and preserves the wood at the same time. Cool.

6. Rick

Thanks for the insight!

Rick